Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rochelle Salt Mystery: Homejob vs. Storebought
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-8-2010 at 07:13
Rochelle Salt Mystery: Homejob vs. Storebought

Gents, I have a frustrating bit of a mystery I'm hoping you can clear up. I need some large (let's say 2" on a side) rochelle salt crystals for a radio project, and I want to grow these myself.

I found a recipe on the internet for making rochelle salt and I followed those. It worked really well. Getting "seed" crystals was a snap, and growing the larger crystals was very simple. I would note that making Rochelle salt this way leads to a mildly amber solution which includes a tiny amount what appears to be cellulosic material. The crystals come out clear/white as does a solution made from these crystals.

However, making Rochelle salt this way is REALLY expensive, and I didn't have enough in the first run to do what I wanted. I suppose the cost of creaming Tartars has risen with the easy availability of rifles, insurgent war, Amnesty International,and all that. Anyway, the cost of creamed Tartars is very high.

So, I decided to buy online from B&H photo (photographers formulary). The cost of this is about half or less of what it cost me to use baking soda and finely powdered Turks. The stuff comes in a jar of crystals smaller than table salt, but not quite a "flour" consistency. Here is where it gets puzzling.

As you know, the solubility curve of Rochelle salt ramps dramatically with temperature. My homejob rochelle salt demonstrated this property. Even with a large amount of regent to water, 30 seconds in the microwave was enough to make all it disappear in the water (roughly 300 ml of water).

With the store bought, the reagent dissolves "easily" but doesn't demonstrate this temperature/solubility to nearly the degree my homemade material did. If I use the "recipe" that "Crystals and Crystal Growing" tells me, there is a little spot of "crusty" material left over that just will not dissolve. Last night, I put the beaker in a pot of water and raised temperature to 200 degree in the beaker trying to get this last little bit to dissolve. Finally, I ended up adding water a few ml at a time until it dissolved. I should have recorded how much, but I was in charge of "baby" at this point, and he kept trying to stick his hand in the boiling water.

Now, the solubility sensitivity to temperature runs both ways. With my homejob Rochelle salt, I would get spontaneous seeds that got big, fast, as the solution dropped in temperature. With this new stuff, what I mixed last night was still water clear this morning. I poured some into a petri dish, covered, and sprinkled in some of the tiny crystals from the jar. When I came down from my shower, nothing. So I put the petri dish in the fridge. Coffee and bagel later, I saw just the tiniest hint of little seeds starting to form, like the head of a pin.

Now, before the run above, I tried this one other time with the new material. In that case I had added too much of the material, and about a 1/4 teaspoon of it wouldn't dissolve. I decided to set this on the windowsill anyway. It took a day for that material to start falling out of solution, and when it did it fell out in the form of a solid crust of tiny, tiny little crystals on the bottom. Again, VERY different behaviour from the homemade Rochelle salt AND very different behaviour from what the books say about rochelle salt.

What do you all think is going on?
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 26-8-2010 at 07:19

Try doing a melting point on both.
They should melt at 75C.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-8-2010 at 08:53

jgourlay:

Out of interest, what the procedure for synthesis you used? Internet link?
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 26-8-2010 at 09:03

There are plenty of preparations on the internet as it is standard science fair stuff.

Here is one;

http://www.seawhy.com/xlroch.html
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-8-2010 at 09:03

blogfast:

http://www.seawhy.com/xlroch.html
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-8-2010 at 09:05

Casablanca!

Of all the preps in all the world you had to pick the same one as me :)
ldanielrosa
Hazard to Others

Mood: transparent

[*] posted on 30-8-2010 at 00:33

Thank you, that was a fun one. I got the cream of tartar at the co-op yesterday and cooked the bicarbonate. Tonight I did the second step, only I weighed the stuff before hand and exactly ran out of washing soda just as the fizzing reaction ceased. Now the liquid is clear (a good sign for solubility) and I'm filtering it as I type.

I wanted some of this stuff because of some things I read that are (surprisingly) unrelated to electronics. I thought of buying some, but I had the pleasure of making it for about half the price.

Go To Top