Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Carbon nanotubes wanted
paulr1234
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-8-2010 at 21:53
Carbon nanotubes wanted

I'm doing some private research into electroactive polymers as robotic actuators (particularly cellulose substrate thin-film ones).

I'm looking for small quantities of MWNTs and SWNTs and fullerenes. Just a few grams at a time, ideally 95% purity range. Need a modestly priced source. Don't have any particular requirements beyond this.

I found a source in China who will sell me MWNTs for a $1 a gram but I'm uncertain about the quality and don't want to start paying to ship bottles of mixed soot around the world.
bquirky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2010 at 08:06

I have considered attempting to separate carbon nano particals (easaly produced using an electrical discharge in ethanol) using Chromatography columns. but ive never been able to come up with a good reason to justify the effort.

1$ per gram sounds like a good deal.

but i cant think of anyway to (at home) differentiate mwnt from swnt.

However i have seen many papers mention that nitric acid will preferentialy attack amorphus carbon inpreferance to nanotubes and other well formed structures

however i cant recall a referance

Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 1-9-2010 at 18:28

Have fun running the column on those.

You'll pay through the nose on the SWCNTs.

Are you in the US? I might be able to help you.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
paulr1234
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-9-2010 at 23:26
Hello Fleaker

Yes, I'm in the USA - can you help? Can pay.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 19-9-2010 at 08:52

A couple of grams of SWCNTs is A LOT to me. Those things go a long way. It's as if you can spread them infinitely.

If you find a good source of cheap and decent quality SWCNTs, let me know for sure.

If you needed a few hundred mg, I could help you, but that's it.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
paulr1234
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-9-2010 at 22:27
SWCNTs

Just a 100mg or two would be a great starting point - do you have any ideas about what you want in terms of $ or trade?

I can currently get 35% purity SWCNTs from Alfa for $64 for 250MG. I'd be interested in securing larger quantities and better purity levels.

Yes, they do go a long way but right now I am planning on experimenting with a whole bunch of permutations to this preparation: http://ndeaa.jpl.nasa.gov/nasa-nde/lommas/eap/Nanotube-PrepP...

Which looks like a fairly material-intensive methodology to begin with, and I'm planning on rattling through a whole bunch of variables (adding additional conductive particles and tweaking the base polymer in a variety of different ways) so expect to go through quite a lot.
preeti22
Unregistered

[*] posted on 17-4-2012 at 21:03

Hi,
If you want best carbon nanotubes from US you can contact nanoshel.

Go To Top