Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wanted glass capillary
Contrabasso
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-9-2010 at 22:11
Wanted glass capillary

I'm looking for a small amount of glass capillary tube and ebay currently offers none.

Has anyone a sharable supplier in the UK please or anyone a few bits spare within postal range of the UK

Even glass pasteur pipettes will do, but all seem to be plastic now.
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 22-9-2010 at 22:56

What do you need them for? I have a hundred or so of those glass tubes used for holding samples in a melting point apparatus. Are those small enough? (they are closed at one end)

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Contrabasso
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-9-2010 at 13:00

I'm looking for the glass tip to an oxygen bubbler to clear RFNA. So I was thinking of something more like a broken thermometer a 5mm rod with a capillary bore. Then I can simply get an oxygen cylinder and sparge (medical) oxygen into the RFNA and get WFNA. (BTW the cylinders come to me with integral regulators which makes life so easy).

I don't make much but the distillation process seems to work well now, SG determination is by simply weighing a 20mi volumetric flask full - which brings the mass into a good range on a small scale for three figure determinations.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 23-9-2010 at 15:03

Funnily enough, I happen to have a broken thermometer I was hanging onto just in case the capillary might be useful. And I'm in the UK. PM me your address and I'll stick it in the post when I hear back.

I also have an idea I'd like to try with an aspirator, do you still want that plastic one? :P

If I don't break it in the process of trying the idea, I can always post it back.

{edit}Oh, it's a 300mm long mercury one, minus the mercury. It's snapped around the middle, so the pieces are about 4-6" I'd guess. It finally developed a crack in the bulb, the column split (couldn't freeze / vibrate rejoin it) and it became unusable for any kind of accurate work, so I harvested the shiny interior. And you don't have to loan me the aspirator, you can have a stick of the thermometer for free.

[Edited on 23-9-2010 by peach]

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 23-9-2010 at 16:59

"Pulling" a capillary tube from a piece of soft glass tubing, in the usual way, won't do?
Contrabasso
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-9-2010 at 01:53

Sadly my only glass tube was described as "Pyrex" so it's not easy to work.
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2010 at 18:49

Locally, the boys use oxy-propane for working Pyrex. I suppose that produces a lot more heat that the usual Bunsen Burner/Propane torch.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 25-9-2010 at 19:02

Indeed it does, it's about 800C hotter.

Acetylene is a dream for heat, but not for glass I'm learning. There's another gas called MAPP, which is sooty like acetylene. Because it essentially is.

According to my quick scooting around in between doing things. oxy hydrogen actually burns a little cooler than oxy propane, but with the benefit of there being zero carbon around.

Natural gas burns similar to propane apparently. Which would be easier than buying cylinders if you're up to tapping into the gas mains.

I just dug my oxy/acetylene torch out, which I bought with all my christmas / birthday presents combined over a few years when I was in my early teens. I'm looking at the cutting head and then the glass, then back to the torch.

[Edited on 26-9-2010 by peach]

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 25-9-2010 at 19:08

Regular propane works perfectly fine for working with borosilicate, in fact, adding oxygen is too much in my experience (unless you just use a little bit of O2).

At the most I would use MAPP gas with no O2.

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 25-9-2010 at 19:09

For pulling? Or more complex stuff?

I've seen people with literally tens of dewars and monster cylinders full of fuel and oxygen at the glassblowing competitions. Is that purely for speed?

I mean, theoretically I can silver solder with my propane torch. In practice, it's a major pain in the ass. I also tried switching to one of the cheaper gases from acetylene and found, even though it would still cut, it took so much more patience to get it started and then keep it going on big items (which obviously doesn't bother a CNC table, but it's a very tangible difference to me). Acetylene is like the plasma cutter of the gas cutting / welding world when compared against the others, to me.

{edit}Oh, I just remembered. If you google for MIT's digital lab manuals and then play the chromatography ones, they show you have to pull melting point tubes and the idea behind pulling pipettes in the Bunsen.

zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-9-2010 at 03:06

I once had a jeweler buddy that utilized Methane/Compressed-Air..... to power his muffle furnace.

Melted a pound or two of Silver at a time, and used it for lost-wax casting.

The natural gas burned hot, clean, and cheap. Though I suppose with O2, it might have burned hotter.

It also might require pressurization, for methane to produce the same oooomph as propane. A liter of methane at STP, contains only about 1/3 of the potential energy of a liter of propane at STP.

As for Silver-Soldering....Am I recalling correctly, that once upon a time, jewelers used to Silver-Solder by means of a spirit-lamp and a blow-pipe?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I checked. They did.

I even found a cute little device, some of the guys here might find interesting.

http://www.autodidactics.com/blowpipesoldering/index.html

[Edited on 26-9-2010 by zed]

peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 26-9-2010 at 08:55

Yep, I think the mains gas pressure may struggle a little in terms of pressure. At least the domestic lines in the UK. But boilers manage to get enough blue flame heat out them, 20kW+.

It's not so much the gas, as the size of the flame that's required with it.

With jewelery, the bits being soldered are tiny. The heat loss is low and the mass that needs heating is low. But even silver soldering bits for all those fridge pumps, like the 1" sized gaskets (about 1/8th thick and circle shapes), I have to absolutely roast them with the normal propane torch, suspend then on bits of wire to stop them conducting heat and put blankets of foil around them to stop the heat convecting away. And then they only just get hot enough. Usually needing five minutes or so to get there.

Same with big bits of iron / steel and propane. It works, it's just too easy for it to stop working.

Acetylene, I can pretty much be sure, it's going to get hot, quickly.

It's like trying to solder any semi-decent sized terminal with a 10 /15W soldering iron. Theoretically, it's hot enough. But the droop in the temperature when it actually has a load attached, the heat sinking of the components, means I can end up sat there for three minutes waiting for the part to get hot enough. If it ever does. Whilst the heat is conducting through the entire part, overheating it. Which is why I always go for the 30W+, unregulated, budget irons and work quickly / carefully.

An air ionizer for the house is another example. It can manage thousands of volts. But, connect any kind of load across the pins and it's reduced to nothing.

I wonder if you could work glass with a plasma flame? Tesla coil guys love them. Microwave oven discharges directed with some quartz tube?

Go To Top