Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Do stains on hotplates affect performance?
bob800
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 12:26
Do stains on hotplates affect performance?

I found a reasonably-priced Corning PC-320 on ebay, but there's some stains on the plate. Do stains on hotplates usually smell\affect performance? Attached is a photo of it:

stains.png - 239kB

[Edited on 28-9-2010 by bob800]
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 15:40

It's fine.

MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 17:26

The only time it will affect performance noticeably is if there is a significant amount of debris that has significantly different thermal characteristics from that of the hotplate material. I can think of no other mechanism through which performance would be affected by "stains".

I have a hotplate similar to this one and it is great! It is the same kind my school uses and they are certainly built to last. (Just don't spill concentrated acid/base or other extremely reactive chemicals through the vent holes and if you do, disassemble it IMMEDIATELY and wipe it down with a damp cloth soaked in an appropriate neutralizing solution)

Of course this holds true with other hotplate models as well.

Now that I think about it, this is perhaps a design flaw because I have a VWR 4x4 hotplate stirrer that doesn't have vents that spills can get into easily.

Yours doesn't seem to have the slightly rounded base with vents, though.

[Edited on 9-29-2010 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 19:10

NO. Looks typical to me.

Cheers,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein

Go To Top