Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Obtaining a Bunsen Burner
Huk40
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-10-2010 at 13:01
Obtaining a Bunsen Burner

Hi,
my name's Nikolay and I'm from Bulgaria.I'm kind of new here,so excuse me if I'm doing stupid things.Anyway,here's the question:I live in small town and the buners sold here are pretty lame.I'm searching in Ebay but i can't seem to find what i'm looking for.I need something like this or this one.Can you point me in the right direction?

PS:Thank you and sorry for my bad English :)
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 10-10-2010 at 16:41

Hmm, are there any decent hiking / tramping supplies stores nearby? Similar things are sometimes sold there.

Also, hardware stores.

Also, welcome :)

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
Contrabasso
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-10-2010 at 22:13

Look in camping shops for a small burner, even one with its own replaceable gas can. Lots of early chemists started with a spirit burner just a wick in alcohol or lamp oil. Heat gently, that way your glassware lasts longer.

Your English is fine, and infinitely better than my Bulgarian!
Huk40
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 12:19

Thank you for the warm welcome.Yea the burners here are with replaceable gas tanks,but after 3 minutes of working the nozzle gets very hot.Also it(the nozzle) often gets blocked by the liquid methane(or whatever the tank is filled with).I had one of these,but it got stolen.As it is my only option,I may again get one of them anyway.

I'm building my lab now,so I'm open to any suggestions/recommendations about how things should be.
Contrabasso
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 14:02

Lab layout is personal! Are you right handed or left handed.
Plenty of store space and some work space with some services (water drain electricity etc) Also depends on the space you have available.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 14:12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunsen_burner

I've generally used the above type. I just run some latex tubing from a propane torch bottom, to the burner gas inlet, and it's good to go.

I would imagine such units are available on e-bay. And, here in The States, propane torch tanks are available for a couple of bucks each, at any hardware store or building supply.

Of course, if you are really gonna use it a lot, economy-wise natural gas is the way to go. Failing that, large barbeque-type propane tanks would work.
Huk40
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 14:16

Here in Bulgaria,there is two types of tanks - 4,5l and the big ones(20l i suppose).I have seen the small ones you have in US but we don't have them here.I don't want to go with something this big,because I'm little concerned about the safety.I will upload pictures of my attic(future lab) maybe in a different topic.
Huk40
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 10:43

My old one was this one and it's flame was 15 cm long.It's adjustable,you can set a ring on the air openings,and the resulting flame is brighter like candle,or if you remove the ring,and leave the holes open-it's blue and torch-like(how it should be).Is it good option,or I should look for something else?

Go To Top