Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: improve TFSE
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 19-10-2010 at 16:53
improve TFSE

If anyone in the forum has the knowhow (and time) this wouldbe a really good time to greatly enhance the capabilities of the site's search engine. I can't help noticing that at least two of the recent requests and posts in articles wanted have been posted before. It was easier to go to the library and get the articles again than to find them here. I applaud the efforts made so far but I beg for improvement for all our sakes. A nastygram from ACS suspending your access can screw up a good day.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 19-10-2010 at 17:22

I think alot of it has to do more with the structure of the request and fullfillment other then the search engine itself. To often the request are not well reported, missing DOI or not labled correctly and the fullfillment is even more plane then the request quite often giving nothing more then a file with a name thats just numbers and the person it belongs to.

At Thevespiary we did what we could to take steps to avoid this by granting aministration access to a few that fullfill request often ,such as java does, and allow them to delete the request and replace it with the fullfillment with a quote of the request. Also all request are required to be in blue so to keep track of whats been found and what hasn't.

For a forum this large it could all prove to be to much for the moderation team to handle but as long as the person making the request provides as much information as clear as possible the fucking search engine should in theory work just fine.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 21-10-2010 at 09:04

I've worked with the search engine for awhile & found certain techniques that help me a great deal. I always use the "ADVANCED" mode. Then I attempt to isolate the subject from something that MAY give more hits than less. I also try to use an author that I know may have written previously. Then use quotes to keep the spread from gathering the words (or widening) - depending upon what I'm trying to find.
Example: "Picric acid", "Picric acid synthesis", "Picric acid manufacture", "Picric acid & aspirin".
Remembering that the words "and , &, or "will provide a method to trap the search in the way I would want. Quotes always prevent a search from finding both out of context.
Also if I get a hit where the author had more to say but didn't in a specific thread, I try that author's name in a simple search such as ; "Picric acid" (author's name: Jones), "Dinitro", Trinitro", etc.

Often I have to search within a search. Once I get a hit that is going where I want I use the contextual method to tighten it. Don't forget misspellings! The very thing you are looking for may have been misspelled or you are misspelling it. For some reason people often forget that some folks "glue" the words together: leadazide instead of lead azide. Putting the misspelling into the search helps quite a bit.

Generally (but not always) the search mechanism is hard-coded into the software and what you have cannot be altered to any great extent. But you can take advantage of the idiosyncrasies of the way it was present to the search mechanism.

I have NO proof of this but I believe that the "ADVANCED" mode actually turns on some undocumented mechanisms and the standard 'search" posses very few Boolean features.

[Edited on 21-10-2010 by quicksilver]

entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 21-10-2010 at 17:35

Quote: Originally posted by quicksilver  
I always use the "ADVANCED" mode.
How do you get into the ADVANCED mode? It doesn't seem to be available when I search using TFSE on the forum. Thanks.
gsd
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-10-2010 at 18:12

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
How do you get into the ADVANCED mode? It doesn't seem to be available when I search using TFSE on the forum. Thanks.

Instead of using the "embedded" SE of this forum, use google advance search option and then in the field "Search within a site or domain:" put http://www.sciencemadness.org

You will have plenty of advance search options available.
gsd

Go To Top