Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 3-(ethylamino)-4-methyl phenol
abirewar
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-10-2010 at 02:49
3-(ethylamino)-4-methyl phenol

I need help in synthesizing 3-(ethylamino)-4-methyl phenol (OR 3-(ethylamino)-p-Cresol) from N-ethyl-o-toluidine. Can someone help me with the route?
Also can the target molecule be synthesized using some other starting material?
Thanks for all the help
Aqua-regia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-10-2010 at 07:16

First sulfonating with 20% oleum in 50 C unil test tube reaction from sample does not making turbidity with diluted NaOH. In case positiv testing you have, pour dropwise 20% oleum into it and heat it. Then pour into crushed ice, neutralize with CaCO3 powder, and filter. The sodium salt can you receive the usual way, or just evaprate tha Ca-salt dry. 10 g sodium (or Ca) salt and 25 g KOH grind together to become fine powder mixture, and heat unde Ar or N in nickel crucible. Process need 12 hour in 250 C. The matter resolve in water, and separate the organic cresole with MTBE. Thats all. (Excuse me for my bad english)

[Edited on 24-10-2010 by Aqua-regia]
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 25-10-2010 at 06:35

His question was not about how to prepare p-cresol, but 3-(ethylamino)-4-methyl phenol which is a different compound.

Abirewar, please open referenceless threads only in Beginnings section where I'm moving this. Also, it is more likely somebody would be willing to help you if you show that you put some effort into it. I would, for example.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
25-10-2010 at 06:36
Aqua-regia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-10-2010 at 10:24

Are you sure Nicodem ? The CAS number of both coumpond is the same: 120-37-6.
http://www.tcieurope.eu/en/catalog/E0252.html

I think, you be out in this matter

[Edited on 25-10-2010 by Aqua-regia]
abirewar
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-10-2010 at 23:40

@Nicoderm - Thanks for your suggestion to move to a relevant section. This is the 1st time I am using a discussion board & I did not realize the error. Am re-posting the request no in OrgChem & would really appreciate your help.

@Aqua - Thanks for your help. We are pursuing a similar process (with Na salt), but conversion is v low and too many isomers are generated. Any alternative process?
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 07:05

Aqua-regia, please explain what is your post above about. I thought you were describing the preparation of p-cresol from toluene, but then I see it says nothing about what the starting and ending compounds are, neither did you provide any reference.
Quote: Originally posted by abirewar  
@Nicoderm - Thanks for your suggestion to move to a relevant section. This is the 1st time I am using a discussion board & I did not realize the error. Am re-posting the request no in OrgChem & would really appreciate your help.

Crossposting is also not tolerated, not just here, but at any discussion board I know of.
Besides, you were explained what was wrong about opening referenceless threads and again did the same. Given your particular situation (of a professional asking amateurs to do the job you are paid for), the least you could do is properly present the problem you are facing.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Aqua-regia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-10-2010 at 09:49

Hy Nikodem, I edited my recipe, that I wrote this to slubber:

First sulfonating the 0,1 mol N-ethyl-o-toluidine with 45 g 20% oleum in 50 C unil test tube reaction from sample does not making turbidity with diluted NaOH. In case positiv testing you have, pour dropwise 20% oleum into it and heat it. Then pour into crushed ice, neutralize with CaCO3 powder, and filter. The sodium salt can you receive the usual way, or just evaprate tha Ca-salt dry. 10 g sodium (or Ca) salt and 25 g KOH grind together to become fine powder mixture, and heat unde Ar or N in nickel crucible. Process need 12 hour in 250 C. The matter resolve in water, and separate the 3-ethylamino-p-cresole or 3-ethylamino-4-methylphenol with MTBE. Thats all. (Excuse me for my bad english)

I synthetised it above recipe for 2 years ago. Yield appr. 30%
Literature:http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=CN1304926&F=0

It were good to translate it from chinese to english.
Aqua-regia
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-10-2010 at 10:01

Hi abirewar.

I suggest to you, if you can build 3-amino-4-hydroxytoluene and than monoethylate this. My methode: 1 mol amino stuff+1 mol HCl+ 2 mol EtOH in the sealing thick depth Duran bomb-pipe 200 C degrees / 24hour.

Good luck, this maybe works

Go To Top