Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reactivity of aromatic cycles
mysticmuse
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-10-2010 at 19:07
Reactivity of aromatic cycles

I usually understand what is more reactive when there is only one substituent, ex: phenol, chlorobenzene but I'm stuck when I'm asked to find what is more reactive when there are 2 substituants.

This is the the question: Place in order of reactivity the following compounds - acetanilide, benzene, chlorobenzene, 4-nitrophenol, phenol, 4-chlorophenol.

This is my guess: phenol>4-chlorophenol>4-nitrophenol>acetanilide>benzene>chlorobenzene

The problem with my reasoning is that I only considered the second substituants 4-nitrophenol and 4-chlorophenol when I compared them to eachother, not with the other compounds. Can someone please explain me how to find the correct order? Thanks.

[Edited on 26-10-2010 by mysticmuse]

[Edited on 26-10-2010 by mysticmuse]
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 04:36

Personally I would go for;

phenol>acetanilide>4-chlorophenol>4-nitrophenol>benzene>chlorobenzene

I reckon the acetanilide would be less reactive than phenol but more reactive than the substituted phenols.
To be honest these things can depend on the electrophile and the reaction conditions, etc.

Have a look at this, I think it shows that my order is correct;

http://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakultaeten/nat_Fak_IV/Organisc...

[Edited on 26-10-2010 by ScienceSquirrel]
Ebao-lu
Unregistered

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 06:00

Quote:
I reckon the acetanilide would be less reactive than phenol but more reactive than the substituted phenols.
To be honest these things can depend on the electrophile and the reaction conditions, etc.

on the one hand, it is right but in the other hand nitration of paracetamol leads to http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=9722

I guess that depends on acidity - in basic solution phenol becomes a much more reactive phenolate, in neutral phenolate can also form in equilibrium and in acidic its concentration is less. Or there is some other reason of such paracetamol nitration product formation. Anyway, i think you mysticmouse can answer acetanilide is more active because it was not mentioned about base presence, and about neutral pH i'm not sure. If teacher is not satisfied you can provide a refference at least. Or you can study what other reactions with paracetamol are resulting in like chlorination, bromination etc that are made in neutral pH

[Edited on 26-10-2010 by Ebao-lu]

Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 07:33

To qualitatively determine the aromatic nucleophilicity (reactivity of the aromatic systems toward electrophiles) is not easy as one needs to evaluate all kind of electronic effects and resonance systems and subsystems. It is similarly difficult to predict the regioselectivity of the electrophilic aromatic substitution (EAS). To illustrate how apparently simple substrates give unusual regioselectivity, check this recent thread. Besides, with protic or basic functional groups, the reaction media acidity/basicity has a huge influence on reactivity (as mentioned above for phenols, but the same is also true for anilines, benzoic acids, benzyl amines, etc., in extreme cases this phenomenon influences the reactivity of substrates such as anisols or even nitrobenzenes). Sterics also have an important influence on the reactivity, just as they also influence regioselectivity. An additional problem in regioselectivity prediction is a common complication in the EAS, which is the side reactions resulting from ipso attacks of the electrophile. Reactivity and regioselectivity in EAS are highly interconnected and can not be evaluated separately.

BTW, homework requests and pedagogic stuff go to Beginnings section where I'm moving this.

[Edited on 26/10/2010 by Nicodem]

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
26-10-2010 at 07:38

Go To Top