Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electrochemical reductions of 1-R-Nitropropenes --> 1-R-Isopropylamines
RiP057
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-10-2010 at 17:00
Electrochemical reductions of 1-R-Nitropropenes --> 1-R-Isopropylamines

So I am attempting the reduction of a 1-R-2-nitropropene. I say 1-R because I feel this can be applicable to many others through my trial and errors, and at this point its complete errors. For the purposes of this discussion I am working on phenyl-4-nitropentadiene, and want to discuss some of the things that have occured. I chose electrochemical reduction as most reagents for reductions of nitro groups or double bonds are very dangerous or inadiquate, ie LiAlH4 (very nasty stuff, had one too many ether fires with this one), Fe/HCl (never works except for nitrobenzenes), NaBH4 (never liked this chemical... or it doesnt like me). I looked to this board and searched for electrochemical reductions and pulled up some guys Flower pot reduction design.... Amateur hour imho no offense, but it developed an intrigue that lead to more reading.

First thing... ripping open a car battery.... not the brightest idea, however the bags could be very useful. I have done research and the best membrane ie the one used by chemists worldwide, and most battery manufacturers is something called Nafion made by Dupont, at 30 dollars a sq ft I have ordered and waiting to receive in the post. I say the car battery is a bad idea because I have opened two, and maybe its because they were both used, maybe its the way I got inside, but all of the separators, I mean all have some small leak. This results in mixing of the anolyte and catholyte and can create some funny side reactions. For example if using Vitus's rough synth you will get chlorine gas as the HCl will leak into the cathode and get oxidized... this itself has happened once and made me order the Nafion

My setup is a variable Amp/Volt lab power supply that can supply 0-15V/0-40A. I know this is a HUGE amount of power and I really only want 40 A/dm, but it gives me the option of having a bigger anode allowing for faster reduction.

The power supply is connected by 8 gauge wires crimped to the proper rated alligator clips, and connected to Pb electrodes.

The electrodes are made from 4#/sq ft sheet lead, and I have tried anodizing them the way Vitus specifies, but its seems like that is not so important since this is 99% lead sheet from the mill.

Upon reading the flower pot thread one person had an issue with a an orange color appearing, and I have an explanation, back to the mixing of the electrolytes, and polymerization. In my experiments I have noticed that if the temperature is not carefully kept at room temperature or below intermolecular deils alder reactions leading to polymerization will occur.

This polymerization naturally occurs in my o chemist mind as the sulfuric acid accelerates this reaction at some degree no matter what temperature, along with air oxidation, so this makes me ask the question how best to view the reaction from inside, as waiting for it to go colorless relys on perfect conditions, and relying on the amateur hour of when the bubbles start to increase isn't really a chemists view. I say this because depending on what phase of the reaction is completed
nitropropene-oxime-hydroxylamine-amine
the bubbles will increase steadily until done. I am blessed to have TLC plates, and for those that read a recommendation on solvent system would be great!!

At the moment I am using a PPE separator from one of the batteries, and the lead electrodes in a pyrex beaker immersed in an ice bath. My solvent system is 4:4:1 EtOH:AcOH:HCl (37%) for the anolyte and 10% H2SO4 for the catholyte. The equipment that I am working with is sparse so I am looking for a better way to work up the product isopropylamine that doesnt require any distillation or organic solvent. A rotovap would be great but not in my budget.

My questions
What TLC system for reaction monitoring that would give clear separation of all four compounds?
Is the mild leak in the PPE separator that much of a problem is this their design?
Would going above 40A/dm current density that frowned upon? would this further accelerate the intramolecular deils alders?
what kind of workup would be best to minimize the idea of stripping solvents?

Also mods I noticed that the flowerpot thread is closed so if this is offensive forgive me, delete, give me a chance
lullu
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-3-2012 at 12:13

Sorry for bumping.
Thanks for sharing your experience with tyvek. May I ask you to report how well the nafion worked out?
Maybe you could even share how you mounted it eg. how you designed the cell?
woelen
Super Administrator
Thread Pruned
4-3-2012 at 23:31
digitalis
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-3-2012 at 05:01

Why not keep things simple and just use good 'ol Al/Hg to reduce those nitro compounds?

[Edited on 17-3-2012 by digitalis]

Go To Top