Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Abbey chemicals, legitimate?
BlazeBall
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 10:15
Abbey chemicals, legitimate?

Has anyone ordered from www.abbey-chemicals.co.uk before?

I was thinking of buying some reagents from there, but the fact that they appear to sell acetic anhydride and fuming nitric acid to anyone makes me somewhat suspicious about whether they are genuine or not.

[Edited on 11-11-2010 by BlazeBall]

[Edited on 11-11-2010 by BlazeBall]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 12:20

Their fuming HNO3 prices are crazy and if you order AC2O they'll likely refer you to an official at the H.O..
But how would they be anything other than genuine?

mr.crow
National Hazard

Mood: 0xFF

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 12:33

Looks like one of those cut rate operations where they import a list of products into a website. They don't even have any pictures.

Basically no one cares if you order a few bottles of chemicals unless its something touchy.

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble
BlazeBall
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 12:55

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Their fuming HNO3 prices are crazy and if you order AC2O they'll likely refer you to an official at the H.O..
But how would they be anything other than genuine?

Well I considered the possibility that someone may have set up a website selling alluring reagents to get loads of orders and then run off with the money, wouldn't be the first time that kind of scheme has happened.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 13:25

As far as I know they are legitimate and they previously traded as Lindchem which is still on their register page.
I doubt they will supply to under eighteens and there may be other restrictions.
My brewery supplier is a bit touchy on lactose.
It is used for making sweet stouts as it does not ferment so the sweetness remains in the final beer but it is also used to cut drugs so big purchases require additional paperwork and police notification.
Use your credit card and you will be protected if they run off with your money.
itchyfruit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 05:21

They are legit.
Strange that they sell fuming nitric acid but not perchloric acid
plastics
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 05:22

I've placed a couple of orders with them in the past with no problems

Even bought their red phosphorus when I didn't have other sources

I did have to sign a disclaimer and specify an end use

One year later no obvious comeback - though my name might be on a list somewhere
Contrabasso
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 12:15

They are probably more legit than anyone on here! It's a fully compliant business formerly Lindchem as mentioned above. Buy an interesting mix of chemicals and expect a visit.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 19:22

A visit would not be a problem for me.
i am not making or doing anything illegal.
They could ask why a hobby brewer has such a large range of chemicals but as there are no explosive mixtures or obvious drug precursors they might have to just leave it at that.
Quite a lot of the bulk chemicals eg hydrogen peroxide and trisodium phosphate are required for cleaning or sterilising brewing or beer storing and dispensing equipment.
The lab sits in a shed that has planning permission for light industrial use and all chemicals are safely stored.
The more open you are the less they can do about you.
With the exception of listed poisons, explosives, controlled drugs, etc I reckon the private ownership of most chemicals is legal in the UK.
If you are running a business or have a hobby requiring chemicals then the supply to you and your ownership of materials is not illegal as long as they are safely stored and used for the intended purpose.
Different matter in the Land Of The Not So Free though :(

[Edited on 13-11-2010 by ScienceSquirrel]
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 19:39

Quote:

A visit would not be a problem for me. i am not making or doing anything illegal.

*laughs*

...says ScienceSquirrel as government agents close in on his "clandestine lab". Don't be naive. At least admit the risk.

How many laws are on the books over there in the UK? Trust me, you are likely breaking at least one of them (probably more if you are a home chemist).

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 20:00

Quote: Originally posted by MagicJigPipe  

Quote:

A visit would not be a problem for me. i am not making or doing anything illegal.

*laughs*

...says ScienceSquirrel as government agents close in on his "clandestine lab". Don't be naive. At least admit the risk.

How many laws are on the books over there in the UK? Trust me, you are likely breaking at least one of them (probably more if you are a home chemist).

I am a qualified chemist and my lab / brew plant is known to the police and Customs & Excise.
It can't be any other way, it is half way towards being a pilot commercial microbrewery.
Their main worry is that my accounting systems will be good enough for them to collect their share of the revenue from every pint that goes out of the door
when the clients start paying! :D
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 20:06

Okay, whatever you say. Do they also know about your "on-the-side" research activity?

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 20:36

Quote: Originally posted by MagicJigPipe  
Okay, whatever you say. Do they also know about your "on-the-side" research activity?

They do and there is nothing illegal about making blue prints, etc.

Go To Top