Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 'Zerostat' antistatic guns - help me settle a bet
aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 16:21
'Zerostat' antistatic guns - help me settle a bet

Preamble: 'zerostat' antistatic guns, aka 'discwasher' antistatic guns for LP records are handheld piezoelectric devices which can spray positive and negative ions to help neutralize residual charge on various surfaces to help prevent compounds from flying all over the place while handling and weighing.

See also: http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/ProductDetail.do?D7=0&am...

So I need a bit of help settling an issue once and for all. Some people think that squeezing the trigger fast will give the best results, while others think that squeezing the trigger slowly will. Squeezing the trigger rapidly in succession makes lots of clicking noises while slow cycling does not.

Empirical experiment: if I place the tip of the device near a grounded metal bar and squeeze the trigger slowly, I get more small arcs across to the grounded object vs rapid squeezes.

So what do the users of sciencemadness think?
1. Fast squeezing > slow squeezing
2. Slow squeezing > fast squeezing
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 16:52

Wow, that sucks. $140 for something that you can only pull the trigger on 1,500 times? How does it work and why is it such a piece of crap?

Imagine if they sold guns that had a lifetime of 1500 trigger pulls.

[Edited on 11-13-2010 by MagicJigPipe]

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 17:23

A hammer smacks the crystal. The harder, the higher the voltage. So faster cycling will likely interfere with the hammer reaching it's greatest impact velocity, meaning I vote for 2. However this is idiotic. An AC high voltage will erase better and with today's Li-ion and inverter technology why the hell do they not offer a rechargeable small hand held unit with unlimited lifetime. Unlimited meaning a reasonable number of years of useful service, not a mere 1500 clicks.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 19:57

140$ for a piezo electric clicker? Get the hell out of here, I got tons of these sitting at my house taken off of old water heaters and such. There worth like a nickle without the fancy case. Im in the wrong biz....

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 20:06

I know, totally overpriced, but that is besides the point, hehe.

Though I don't think these are actual clickers since slow squeezes do not produce the bbq igniter 'snap' from a hammer hitting a piezoelectric crystal. As you squeeze the trigger the mechanism squeezes the crystal without actually hammering (apparently).
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 20:36

If you study how high voltage is generated from a piezoelectric crystal you will see slowly squeezing it is not the best approach. No matter, links below are better ideas anyway. An AC field will erase a DC static charge better, so build one. The 12 volt item could be hacked to give either polarity.

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G1...

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G1...

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-11-2010 at 10:27

The click noise is due to the thing sparking internally. When it does that, of course, it just wastes effort and time. Slow works better because it gives the charge time to be sprayed away from the needle point.
kintekobo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 08:17

You can make these from the innards of disposable cigarette lighters, the electric variety. Cost about 50p and work very well for discharging the static on the turntable of the old record transcription table (yes I am that old) so I expect they would work in this application just as well.

I would never belong to any club that would have me as a member.

Go To Top