Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A little question about Wittig reaction.
MUSSUM
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-4-2019 at 20:50
A little question about Wittig reaction.

Hello my friends.
I would like to know if after the concerted [2 + 2] cycloaddition of a phosphate ilideo with a carbonyl group forming an oxafosfoetane. Could the collapse of oxafosfoetane be explained by the theory of Bayer's ring tension, even though tetracycline is not completely carbonic? For the angle between the atoms in the molecule is less than 109 ° 28 ', that is to say, such rings become very unstable, or it would be better to say that it would have a steric factor since both O atoms and P of great volume, force the collapse in function of coulombic repulsions?
Which way of thinking would be more appropriate? By Bayer's theory or the view of electrostatic repulsions? Or even for both?
Thank you very much in advance.

/...even though tetracycline is not completely carbonic?/ wrong
/...even though cyclo is not completely carbonic?.../rigth :D

Att,

Mussum

My english is very bad, sorry for this!

[Edited on 27-4-2019 by MUSSUM]

[Edited on 27-4-2019 by MUSSUM]

[Edited on 28-4-2019 by MUSSUM]

[Edited on 28-4-2019 by MUSSUM]
Sigmatropic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-4-2019 at 23:15

I would explain it by the oxophilicity of phosphorus.
I usually assume the oxophosphetane can collapse both ways. One way to regenerate the starting materials and the other way to the product. But since the phosphine oxide is much more stable then the phosphorous ylid the reaction goes to completion.

For tetracycline you mean cyclobutane, tetracyclines are a class of antibiotics.

For general understanding it would be helpful to mention in the tread title that you have a question about the wittig reaction or the Horner-Wadsworth-Emmons reaction.

[Edited on 27-4-2019 by Sigmatropic]
MUSSUM
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-4-2019 at 17:34
Sigmatrópico

Yes, cyclobuthane. In my language "tetraciclo" is a cycle of four atoms , it is form taht we speak in Brazil, for example cyclohexane is a hexaciclo, cylodecane is a decaciclo. it is an informal form way of referring to a cyclo compounds, but is not compatible with the IUPAC name, it is a informal form, somewhat regional. Saying tetracycline was a mistake, sorry for this.

Thanks for your answer.

I did not know this reaction that presented me, I only knew the reaction of Wittig that is the reaction in question. Friend, could you tell me some book only with mechanism exercises to solve?

Go To Top