Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: There's a new sheriff in town
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 14:45
There's a new sheriff in town

And his name is Rosco <strike>P. Coltrane</strike> Bodine.
He is empowered to clean up the basement-bomber nonsense that has been posted in Energetic Materials of late.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
UKnowNotWatUDo
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 14:48

Thank God
dawson01912
Banned

Mood: Creative!!!

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 15:00

This is in no way personal, sir, but you're not helpful.

I am very disappointed with stifling of the discussions about safety and the shitty traffic Sciencemadness gets. 100 people is not enough.......

Good day.

[Edited on 28-11-2010 by dawson01912]
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 16:27

Good choice!

Let the pithy joust begin! :)

Cheers,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 16:33

Good idea.

Figuring out ways to kill yourself != pushing the boundaries of science and finding out new things.

Energetic materials are fascinating, but I'd rather learn about them.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 17:45

Can someone move the locked threads to detritus to remove the clutter in this section? Also, it would serve as a reminder of the type of threads that we discourage on this forum.

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
dawson01912
Banned

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 17:46

Quote: Originally posted by psychokinetic  
Good idea.

Then you clearly haven't learned enough about them. Working with secondary explosives is definitely safer than driving a car on a highway. And I'm not even exaggerating, bud.

[Edited on 29-11-2010 by dawson01912]
dawson01912
Banned

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 18:02

Quote: Originally posted by DDTea  
Can someone move the locked threads to detritus to remove the clutter in this section? Also, it would serve as a reminder of the type of threads that we discourage on this forum.

First, it would not serve as a reminder since it would be removed. Secondly, am genuinely confused as to what Energetic Materials section is about!You can't talk about accidents, initiations, detonation setups......What the hell are energetic materials for? Looking at them? :o
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 18:28

Quote: Originally posted by DDTea  

Good idea. It's done.
DDTea
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 18:32

dawson: here's what you are not getting, and you're in good company. There's a difference between creating/detonating explosive mixtures in a home lab vs. actually studying, researching, and learning about energetic materials/compositions. Basically, the approach is completely wrong. Let me illustrate by example.

Case 1: Someone, in their home lab, tests a new sensitized ammonium nitrate blend. He calculates the oxygen balance, calculates how much of each chemical he's going to use, and he blends the mixture. Maybe he makes a "reference" charge using a sensitized ammonium nitrate blend with a familiar power. He then detonates the two charges and documents the explosions on video.

Case 2: Someone is curious about a novel explosive that has been synthesized. He goes to his computer and loads up SPARTAN and does molecular orbital calculations and bond energy calculations. He searches the literature for crystallography data. He runs simulations. etc.

The former is very sophomoric. The end goal is simply to make an explosion, not to *understand what is going on*--THAT is science. A proper discussion about energetic materials should be dense with physics and theory.

As much as people bash theorists on this forum, I have to say that they are a lot smarter in their approach than many of the members here. Physics, theory, and math are branches of science--they're the branch where experiments are a hell of a lot cheaper and less dangerous though. There is so much that can be discussed about energetic materials without ever having to synthesize them. Do the easy stuff first; the remaining questions are what should be answered by experiment. THAT is the way the scientific method works.

Also, in regard to topics about accidents. I get the feeling that people are interested in them but they aren't very good pedagogic tools. Preventing accidents, really, is a topic more appropriate to industrial hygiene than home science. In regard to energetic materials, many labs have standardized ways of handling them. Finding a particular lab's SOP's in regard to energetic materials handling might be an interesting--and useful--discussion.

Really, some people here are more along the lines of home lab technicians rather than home scientists. Energetic materials are exciting and I know that they attract a lot of people to chemistry initially. However, when it comes to setting off 50 g charges of organic peroxides or sensitized ammonium nitrate in an empty field, don't call it anything else than what it is: bollocks.

EDIT: I'm going to include an attached journal article about HMTD to show you an example of what I mean by a scientific discussion of explosives. This is just one example and there are numerous topics to discuss. Dr. Fourkas, btw, is a professor who really knows his stuff and who enjoys mentoring students. He's a really great guy.

Attachment: Schaefer Fourkas 86.pdf (376kB)
This file has been downloaded 649 times

[Edited on 11-29-10 by DDTea]

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 19:43

I wouldn't go that far in favor of theory. Someone who systematically experiments with new sensitizers for ammonium nitrate explosives is indeed a scientist. This sub-forum is not intended only for equations of state and computer models.

However, this forum is also not intended for people who are interested purely in the thrill of explosions. If you are not willing to read what experts have written before, and to think and act like a scientist before the moment of explosion, this is the wrong place for you. I think it is the right of everyone to decide how they are going to weigh risk vs. reward, but it should be done without self-delusion and without endangering others. So I will criticize members who are deluding themselves about the safety of their practices, doubly so if they endanger others. Ignorance is the usual companion of recklessness and I also quickly tire of members who don't do their homework before asking for help.

To my knowledge Rosco is no orbital-wielding theorist. He is however a good model for amateur scientists in the subfield of energetic materials: a man who reads the published literature, adds his own ideas, refines them with experimentation, and takes precautions sufficient to retain all eyes and fingers after decades of tinkering.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
DDTea
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 20:55

What I mean in regard to theory: it's a starting point. Theory is the basis of hypotheses which are tested by experiment. It gives you an idea of what you are expecting and something to work off of in the event of an unexpected observation. Basically, the scientific method.

You said it though:
Quote:
Someone who systematically experiments with new sensitizers for ammonium nitrate explosives is indeed a scientist.

Good experimental design ought to focus on the "systematic" part to fully and thoroughly address a question.

Even a very crude attempt at making predictions is better than *no* attempt. Of course, on the side, you can always enjoy the explosions.

In my humble opinion, a bit of time with software, a calculator, a pencil and paper really cuts down the overall workload and narrows down questions/hypotheses to be tested.

psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 21:18

Quote: Originally posted by dawson01912  
Quote: Originally posted by psychokinetic  
Good idea.

Then you clearly haven't learned enough about them. Working with secondary explosives is definitely safer than driving a car on a highway. And I'm not even exaggerating, bud.

I don't do that, either.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
dawson01912
Banned

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 22:00

@DDTea

I am doing explosives for the thrill of explosives. True.
I do not care about minute chemical reactions going on in explosives. Also true.

However, you are forgetting that explosives are not meant to be studied in the lab! They are to be used in doing work, whether it is digging a canal, demolitions, or killing innocent Iraqis:(. When you are doing something, you have to keep an objective in mind of why you are doing something. I have an objective, I want to have fun and do it with 100% feeling that I am safe and if anyone is around, that they are safe too. I also want to give kids out there a device that they can safely use without having to make AP or HMTD.

I have set out to create an ultimate NPED device that a 15 year old Phone could have made safely and still had fun. Kids are desperately jumping to AP and HMTD because they want the thrill and are young enough to ignore dangers of those chemical, while not having the resources and knowledge to make a more complex, stable primaries.

I am at the last testing stage of this device. For 18 months I've came up with bunch of flawed methods and now I got it. As long it passes the effective initiation of kinepack mixtures, I'm giving out for the kids to use. Kids who are already making AP/HMTD/MEKP will have a safe option. And kids who are too young definitely won't be able to make it.......it's not like flash powder "bang". And the ill-intentioned won't be able to employ it because it can't be set off remotely/fuse in any way shape or form nor can it pass metal detection in any public place.

I have looked for an effective method for someone to make explosives truly safe and accessible and was disappointed. What exactly can you contribute by calculating energy release of some formula? Squat, that's what.

Me, I'll actually save people's lives because I did not do chemistry with blinders on and looked for a problem solution.

You ask me if I have God complex? I am God.
gregxy
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 22:40

This section on the forum really needs a "sticky" on safety. It could prevent
some accidents. Plus if these comments (and horror stories etc) were in one place
then maybe members would not feel the need to keep repeating them
every time a new guy shows up asking how to make ETN. :)

Here is a thread that I started a while back, perhaps it could be cleaned up for
this purpose.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=13466#...

Another suggestion:
Create a sticky where the senior members that
actually know about these things writes a page each for all the common
compounds. (or just cut and paste from Davis if appropriate). Telling
people to "use the search engine" does not help when there is so much bad
information.

[Edited on 29-11-2010 by gregxy]
dawson01912
Banned

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 23:02

@ Polverone

In 3 weeks I will be> than any amateur scientist you know. Except maybe Gerald Hurst, cause he came up with kinepack and I need kinepack for my invention. :D

dawson01912
Banned

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 23:10

@gregxy

There is one thinking person. These stiffos are trying to pretend that just by covering their eyes on accidents that happened and telling people to go read a book is gonna solve anything. That's why forums lose young kids. Cause of those stiffos who never give useful advice, act arrogant, and don't know jack sh*t about teenage psychology.

Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 23:17

The energetic materials section is not a freewheeling chat room or blog. This is a science forum. Thread topics here should have some technical merit as topics for discussion and the discussion replies should be relevant. In discussions involving chemistry, equations and stoichiometry and references can say plenty to add clarity to the discussions. Please search for earlier discussions of contemplated new topics and reply to an existing topic if the subject matter is pertinent.

Safety is something that is too general to be made a topic pretext for a wave of topic threads that will use safety as the entry point for broad discussions. Experiments with energetic materials is simply not a safe "hobby" for kids.
If there is a Lab Safety section established, then safety related topics can be properly posted there.
Rosco Bodine
Banned
Thread Closed
28-11-2010 at 23:18

Go To Top