Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NBS usage and solubility?
zephler
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 19:52
NBS usage and solubility?

I was wondering who has experience with NBS? I was talking to someone, who was trying to get the bromohydrin product from allylbenzene (2-bromo-1-phenylpropan-1-ol) using allylbenzne, NBS, and the solvent acetonitrile and around 1% of the vol water (maybe even 0.5%). The NBS did nothing except for sit at the bottom, looking exactly like it did coming out of the bottle/ So I am wondering, should I just add more water (is NBS soluble in water??), is NBS soluble in Acetonitrile? I think a viable route is to add more water, if in fact NBS is soluble in water - does anyone have any experience with NBS to get bromohydrin (br and OH addition to double bonds)?
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 20:11

You need more water, like +20%. Also, it will never work without stirring. There are a lot of lit procedures for this kind of thing, why are you not following them?

Edit: this reaction works because NBS is INSOLUBLE in the solvent system!

[Edited on 12-4-2010 by smuv]

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop
zephler
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 21:12

thanks! I heard that adding a tad of DMSO and a pinch of C2H4Cl2 worked wonderfully :)
zephler
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 21:15

and the pinch of the non polar is important that it's only a pinch - to much would cause layer separation and poor yields
smuv
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 21:48

I am not really seeing the point of adding the ethylene chloride. I guess the dmso could form the dimethylbromosulfonium ion (and the N-oxide of succinimide) and act as a Br+ carrier. It should work with aqueous acetonitrile, without any tricks. Maybe foil wrap the flask to avoid radical pathways. The rxn should be easy to track by TLC. Stirring is important though, as this is a heterogeneous reaction.

zephler
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 21:52

I read in a reference that DCE is sometimes used a solvent - just experimenting
smuv
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 22:02

Ok. Do a small scale reaction in 20% water/acetonitrile using say 1.2 eq of NBS with a concentration of 15 mmol alkene to 50 mL acetonitrile. If by TLC you find a spot corresponding to the dibromide, reduce the alkene concentration. Also if you find the alkene seperating from the acetonitrile, add just enough acetonitrile to keep the liquid phases homogonous. Foil wrap the flask, stir it like hell.

Also, if you find that you get a lot of dibromide formation and your NBS has a strong orange color to it, you can let the NBS stand under an aspirator vacuum (in a foil wrapped flask) until it lightens up to give a nearly colorless powder.

It is of utmost importance though that you have only one liquid layer. Formation of an aqueous/organic partition will lead to more dibromide formation.

zephler
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 22:08

one more thing I am speculating on, I have reason to suspect that the DMSO that I used had trace amounts of Na2So4 -- I suppose that some NaBr got formed during the desired reaction?
zephler
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 22:13

Thanks for the info - upon adding DMSO to the flask (that already had acetonitrile in it and water) the solution turned REALLY FREAKING ORANGE - all the way to red almost - is this ok, or is this what you are describing?
smuv
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 10:19

First of all, where are you getting info for DMSO being used for bromohydrin formation? If you saw it used for an aromatic bromination with NBS, don't think for a second that it would be a good idea for this reaction.

About your first question, in a high yielding bromohydin synthesis, there should be no bromide present, so NaBr should not form. Also, it is silly to dry DMSO when you are purposefully adding water to the reaction mixture.

About the RXN mix turning really orange, well this is a bad thing. In an ideal situation the reaction mix should stay colorless. In practice, you might see a tinge of yellow. Dark orange, means there is bromide present in the reaction mixture which will lead to Br2 addition.

My final words are, follow a lit procedure (without deviation), or do the reaction as I specified. If the reaction does not work well, give me the results of a TLC, HPLC or NMR analysis. While I am glad to help, without concrete data, any attempt for me to help you would be a crap shoot and ultimately a waste of my time.

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 10:41

Quote: Originally posted by zephler  
I was talking to someone, who was trying to get the bromohydrin product from allylbenzene (2-bromo-1-phenylpropan-1-ol) using allylbenzne, NBS, and the solvent acetonitrile and around 1% of the vol water (maybe even 0.5%).

First of all, all this is nonsense already in its essence. This is because the bromohydrine derived from allylbenzene is not 2-bromo-1-phenylpropan-1-ol! How about writing down the reaction on paper so that you at least have a concept of what you talk about? In an idealy regioselctive reaction you get 1-bromo-2-hydroxy-3-phenylpropane from allylbenzene. Secondly, a reaction mixture containing only 1% of water is not going to give you much of the bromohydrine. Mixtures of acetonitrile/water or acetone/water of composition from 1:1 to 4:1 are generaly used. Thirdly, what exactly is the point of this thread, if all you do is provide nonsense gueswork, while at the same time refusing on checking the literature about how it is actually done? You are not being helpful to yourself at all!

Quote:
The NBS did nothing except for sit at the bottom, looking exactly like it did coming out of the bottle

Then what you have is not NBS. NBS is well soluble in acetonitrile and somewhat soluble in water.

Quote: Originally posted by zephler  
thanks! I heard that adding a tad of DMSO and a pinch of C2H4Cl2 worked wonderfully :)

Use the phrase "I heard..." without providing any reference just a few more times and your popularity on this forum will drop to extreme sub zero levels. Besides, adding "a pinch of C2H4Cl2", whatever that is, would cause phase separation. And you don't want phase separation when you are doing a bromohydrin.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 10:44

Quote: Originally posted by smuv  
First of all, where are you getting info for DMSO being used for bromohydrin formation? If you saw it used for an aromatic bromination with NBS, don't think for a second that it would be a good idea for this reaction.

Water/DMSO is fairly standard for bromohydrin formation with NBS, as far as I am aware. So much so, that it was one of the examples in my undergrad organic chem class when teaching about halohydrin synthesis.

I don't have access, but this is referenced in several places and the abstract is fairly telling:

DOI: 10.1039/J29710000085

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 10:51

That is true, but using DMSO in brominations with NBS is not popular as NBS slowly oxidises DMSO. It works as a solvent for the formation of bromohydrines from well nucleophilic alkenes, but it fails on less reactive ones. I would guess its nongenerality makes it not the first option to chose. I would guess that it would fail on less reactive ones like allylbenzene, though it surely works on reactive ones like their isomers propenylbenzenes.
zephler
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 11:01

OK - to end the confusion - I was looking at this synth, and I simply substituted acetonitrile for DMSO:

Place in 1 L RB flask 37 ml (35 g) propenylbenzene (bp 69°C at 13mmHg), then 250 ml of DMSO, add 15 ml H2O, and with stirring, add 106 g of N-bromosuccinimide* in small portions during 15 min. A yellow color appears when NBS is added, and by the time the addition is complete, the color is bright-orange. During the addition temp rose up to 50°C. Stir another 15 min, then pour into 1 L of cold water and 3-5 times extract with 100-ml portions of ether. The combined etheral extracts washed water, then NaCl soln, extract dried over MgSO4 and ether was distilled off. Obtained 70 g of the bromohydrin as a yellow oil.
trans-Propenylbenzene yields (S*,S*)-erythro-1-phenyl-2-bromo-1-propanol (92%), and cis-propenylbenzene yields (R*,S*)-threo-1-phenyl-2-bromo-1-propanol (95%)

:P
zephler
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 21:38

Thank you for pointing out the grievous error that I made with respect to the product! Oh well, it was a learning process! It's junk now :(

Quote: Originally posted by UnintentionalChaos  
Quote: Originally posted by smuv  

Water/DMSO is fairly standard for bromohydrin formation with NBS, as far as I am aware. So much so, that it was one of the examples in my undergrad organic chem class when teaching about halohydrin synthesis.

I don't have access, but this is referenced in several places and the abstract is fairly telling:

DOI: 10.1039/J29710000085

Go To Top