Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reductive amination of ketones with Zn in acetic acid!
zephler
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 22:38
Reductive amination of ketones with Zn in acetic acid!

this girl I used to date showed me this paper a few weeks ago, as she is researching phrams at the U (http://www.scribd.com/doc/31475521/WO-2009-116084-Method-for...) - and I was quite surprised to read that these guys reduced their ketone (piperidinone) using just Zn and Acetic acid, then went on to do the Sn2 of a halo-phenyl group with the above product using - get this - 100% NaOH at 120 C! WOW! Those are some crazy harsh conditions!!!! I am honestly surprised that the molecule can withstand that crazy treatment!!!! Now a short question if you are still with me on this - my cousin said he went to school with some chemist that tried this- he said that after the Zn reduction , the Zn was of course filtered and the solution was neutralized . Upon neutralization a large white cloud of precipitate formed which is admittedly a bit different than what I have ever seen - usually an oil of whatever freebase it is you are looking for forms. Anyways, this precipitate is a white chalky powder - Definitely NOT the colorless needles that authors claim it to be. I am trying to determine just what this powder was. Sodium acetate? Seems likely as there is a whack load of acetic acid in there, and they just neutralized with NaOH - but this should wash way in the water layer?!?! Now, another possibility might be ZnO or Zn(OH)2, as the Zn was Zn dust, and some got pulled into solution since the solution was acetic acid. But ZnO and Zn(OH)2 are water soluble right? Well, I will keep you updated

[Edited on 4-12-2010 by zephler]

[madscientist: Fixed typo in thread title - it was driving me crazy.]

[Edited on 8-12-2010 by madscientist]
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 01:17

zno and zn(oh)2 aren't water soluble
TheOrbit
Hazard to Self

Mood: manic bipolar science dis/order

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 06:36

i don't like patents , there is always something vague
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 23:19

The N-alkylation of piperidones with halo-alkanes is very slow and doesn't go except in strong base. Look very carefully at that 100%. It may mean something other than what you think. When I read this last year I gained some insight into working with alkyl halides and piperidines: keep the pH > 14. Reductive ams sometimes do go in Zn/AcOH. I haven't tried it with an alkyl-piperidone but it's an intriguing idea.. very GREEN.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
woelen
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
5-12-2010 at 12:02
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 12:03

Thread moved, this is organic chemistry.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 20:35

i think that was the whole impetus behind the scheme reductively aminate the piperidone first then alkylate it then acylate because piperidones and strongly basic evirons tend to self polymerize so you see that method is a gem and very green.
zephler
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-12-2010 at 20:13
reductive amination with Zn and acetic acid?

has anyone attempted this reaction? A bifunctional molecule (with an amine and a ketone group, the ketone being the one that we are after) - [0.1 mol] was mixed with [0.25 moles] of aniline, to which GAA (as a solvent - so around 2 moles) was added as a solvent. To this mixture was added 0.4 moles of Zn powder and the contents were stirred for 12 hours at room temp, and then for 12 hours at 70-80C. The mixture was cooled, diluted heavily with water and poured trough filter to remove the Zn. The sol'n was made very basic (13+) with NaOH, at which point large clouds of whit precipitate formed. The solution was filtered to leave a chalky white power behind - the product that was sought is actually colorless needles - far from this "stuff". Tried to recrystalize with acetone as suggested, but the white precipitate does not even dissolve - WHAT IS IT? I have my suspicions of ZnO, Zn (OH)2, Zn acetate - oh wait this is a basic solution, so would the acetate even exist at this ph? Furthermore, it would seem that quite a large amount of Zn actually dissolved during the heating in acetic acid step. So does anyone have experience with this reaction? Anyone want to hazard a guess on the white precipitate?
madscientist
National Hazard
Threads Merged
7-12-2010 at 20:18
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 8-12-2010 at 12:18

no, but at this point i would extract it.
and wash all the insolubles with the appropriate extraction solvent too.

also search the authors in chem abs. for that year and previous years you might gleen more details out of that.

[Edited on 8-12-2010 by jon]

zephler
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 15:14

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
The N-alkylation of piperidones with halo-alkanes is very slow and doesn't go except in strong base. Look very carefully at that 100%. It may mean something other than what you think. When I read this last year I gained some insight into working with alkyl halides and piperidines: keep the pH > 14. Reductive ams sometimes do go in Zn/AcOH. I haven't tried it with an alkyl-piperidone but it's an intriguing idea.. very GREEN.

Thank you for your feedback - I way over thought this - it's simply 1 gram of NaOH to 1 mL of water

[Edited on 11-12-2010 by zephler]
zephler
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 15:30

Quote: Originally posted by jon  
no, but at this point i would extract it.
and wash all the insolubles with the appropriate extraction solvent too.

also search the authors in chem abs. for that year and previous years you might gleen more details out of that.

Thank you for your suggestion - I will suggest that route to her - Jon, unfortunately I do not have access to Chem Abstracts or Sci Finder here :( Please disregard the 100% NaOH thingy I am over thinking things too much

[Edited on 11-12-2010 by zephler]

Go To Top