Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Igniting Thermite in Confined Space
holmes1880
dushbag

Mood: Egregious

[*] posted on 17-12-2010 at 01:06
Igniting Thermite in Confined Space

Has anyone had consistent success igniting thermite in a confined space? Now, I'm talking iron oxide/al thermite, but for the heck of it throw in a more energetic LE CuO/al thermite. I have failed to light Fe2O3 with magnesium filings (!!!) and copper oxide just behaves like it pleases. Tricky thing is that to even use Mg you have to have the whole mix in an open air, as Mg doesn't burn without it. And if you use KMnO4/glycerol, then it's still an absolute pain to combine when confined in an airtight container.

Have you found/heard/tested any plausible ignition means of Fe2O3/Al or Fe2O3/Mg......both performed horribly. No ignition even in open air. When airtight, it's futile. My hope was to test it out underground or underwater with ammonal to see if it can detonate it via thermal shock. Long shot, but it is interesting. Would ya'll agree?

[Edited on 17-12-2010 by holmes1880]
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-12-2010 at 14:31

Quote: Originally posted by holmes1880  
Has anyone had consistent success igniting thermite in a confined space? Now, I'm talking iron oxide/al thermite, but for the heck of it throw in a more energetic LE CuO/al thermite.

I have never had trbl igniting Cu oxide - Aluminium thermit,
however, I don't remember which oxide I used. The standard
igniter for thermite dobe two —

Aluminium atomized (fine) 40%
Black iron oxide 29
Barium peroxide 31

Magnesium powder 9%
Barium peroxide 91

Try a little aluminium/sulphur atop magnesium.

[A few years back someone sold 10-lbs of BaO2 on eBay.
Don't know who bought it maybe the same person who bought
the 12-lbs of white arsenic and the paris green. Who knows?]

[Edited on 17-12-2010 by The WiZard is In]
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-12-2010 at 14:47

Quote: Originally posted by holmes1880  
Has anyone had consistent success igniting thermite in a confined space? Now, I'm talking iron oxide/al thermite, but for the heck of it throw in a more energetic LE CuO/al thermite. ]

Just be remembering ... some years back seeing a
common firework sparkler used to ignite Cadweld
{Cu oxide - aluminium) thermite used to weld ground
(Earth[ed] for you on the other side of the pond) wires.
Have not I (yet) tried it w/ one any of the three
iron oxide thermite compositions.
mabuse_
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-12-2010 at 08:10

I recently tried CuO Firecrackers with both "Black 000" Pyro Aluminium (5µm) and 63µm Magnesium.

I used 2mm green visco, no problem.
Aluminium was nice, but Mg seemed even stronger. A real Flashpowder substitute :)

Fe2O3 Thermite is troublesome.

Last time i used cheap 350 mesh atomized aluminium with 2 step priming.
First comes a lump of dextrinated blackpowder with visco fuse casted in, inserted in a spraycan cap filled with Fe2O3 and 50/50 Al and Mg. Then comes the main charge, surrounding the cap.

I could watch the blackpowder burning for some time, until the cap literally exploded and ignited the rest. The blackpowder was barely hot enough. For next time I'm going to add some magnalium.
holmes1880
dushbag

[*] posted on 18-12-2010 at 09:18

Well, I ignited CuO/Al, Al being 650mesh, with a fuse too, but after a while it stopped igniting(maybe Al got too oxidized, or maybe the overall humidity). Regardless, it was still not a sure way to ignite CuO/Al. I'm looking for the method to ignite slower thermite compositions like Fe2O3 and other similar mixes as manganese dioxide and chromium oxide.

Even though Richard Nakka's test show it can be done easily, I've had far inferior results with much finer Al than he used. I need an oxygen sufficient mix.....like BP only 10 times hotter.

http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/thermites.html

[Edited on 18-12-2010 by holmes1880]
plastics
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-12-2010 at 09:45

Potassium permanganate and glycerin hasn't failed to ignite a thermite for me yet. Also provides a sufficient time delay to retire to a safe distance

Ignore that just read the whole of your first post!

[Edited on 18-12-2010 by plastics]
holmes1880
dushbag

[*] posted on 18-12-2010 at 22:21

I genuinely dislike thermite for this specific property of being so problematic to ignite. I have a 1lb of CuO and another lb of Fe2O3 sitting on my shelf never to be used again. Such a pity and a waste of $20.
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 20-12-2010 at 07:34

A long time back thermite was used industrially for the field repair of backhoe blades (cracks) and had a whole kit (which is no longer available). But some of the advertisements indicate that a separate ignition unit was supplied. It is VERY dangerous to use as the fire danger was staggering. But it did repair cracks, etc.
The item was sold under the trade name of thermate (I don't remember the mfg) but it was effective for mild steel. The use today of hardened stick electrodes provided the attachment and hardened weldment; which is what is used now. Too many problems were involved and the "cone" was never designed to be under the level of control that a SMAW could be.
A great deal of information could be found under that trade name.

Today the hardened electrode is used to seal the crack and make (usually) and "X" pattern on the blade thus exposing the hardened pattern to the contact surface.
Underwater welding is a whole science / art and demands high levels of skill and metallurgy knowledge.
There is also a military unit used for the destruction of cryptographic equipment that is also very rare or no longer mfg. but it was designed to burn into light steel. Patent available via a hunt for "cryptographic equipment destruction", etc. I don't think it is a realistic thing to produce on anything but a plant-level basis.

[Edited on 20-12-2010 by quicksilver]

SB15
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-12-2010 at 13:24

A slow burning mixture of KNO3, S, and coarse flake Al has always worked reliably for me. It is fuse sensitive and will ignite confined Fe<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub>/Al thermite.
holmes1880
dushbag

[*] posted on 23-12-2010 at 14:50

Quote: Originally posted by SB15  
A slow burning mixture of KNO3, S, and coarse flake Al has always worked reliably for me. It is fuse sensitive and will ignite confined Fe<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub>/Al thermite.

This is interesting! Some key questions, though:
1. What were the raitos?
2. This looks like nitrate flash powder composition, so did you add boric acid?
3. How long does it take for the ignition to take place once the kn03 mix is lit?

If this actually ignites thermite being airtight, sky is the limit.

[Edited on 23-12-2010 by holmes1880]
SB15
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-12-2010 at 15:28

The composition I typically used was 60% KNO<sub>3</sub>, 25% paint grade Al, and 15% S, with a small amount of boric acid to stabilize. Very fuel rich, but it gives a nice long, hot burn. The sulfur is required because the Nitrate/Al mixture won't sustain combustion on its own.

If the charge is well placed within the thermite, ignition only takes a second or so to occur.
holmes1880
dushbag

[*] posted on 23-12-2010 at 23:40

SB15,

Ok, so boric is a good idea. Very good that it doesn't take too long to ignite. I will definitely try this mix with iron and copper oxide thermites.
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 24-12-2010 at 08:31

One word: Sparklers :D For a longer fuse, bind several together with steel wire, making sure the dipped parts have sufficient overlap (like 1-2 inches). Just stick the sparkler into the thermite pile. I believe sparklers do not require oxygen to burn, but I've never tried burning sparklers in an anoxic environment to test.

So I guess if you want to do it underwater, you can try putting the whole thing in an airtight container, and wire an electronic ignition to light the sparkler which then sets off the rxn?

I have not been able to get Fe2O3 thermite to start using only electronic ignition.

Mg and KMnO4/glycerin have never worked for Fe2O3 thermite in my experience. Sparklers start it every time though.

[Edited on 12/24/2010 by Saerynide]

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"

Go To Top