Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: catching H2S
hkparker
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-12-2010 at 11:24

Ill look up the reference, I got it from an article attached to another thread on here. I do have plenty of silver nitrate, so I will be using that as my test strip. But I think the reaction will be over acetylene's auto ignition point, so I might have to re-think that.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-12-2010 at 12:20

Heres the pdf of the source, it seems like burning acetylene is inevitable, but according to this paper they got decent yields.

Attachment: <a href="http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=153376&amp;aid=7799" onclick="window.open(this.href); return false;">jr9280002068.pdf</a> (193kB)

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-12-2010 at 06:49

The only thing with AgNO3 indicators is that due to extreme sensitivity it might lead to false positives: silver metal often darkens just from small amounts of H2S in the air. Stick a clean silver (or electropated silver nickel) spoon in a hard boiled egg and Ag2S forms on the silver's surface...
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2010 at 16:11

OK so I think I have my final set up down for this reaction. Ill explain my procedure, tell me if this sounds ideal.

Ill make an acetylene generator by adding water from a dropping funnel to a flask with calcium carbide in it with a vacuum takeoff adapter. The acetylene will travel to an erlenmeyer flask with a two holed rubber stopper on top. The acetylene will bubble under the molten sulfur in the heated flask producing CS2 and H2S (along with other impurities). The products will go out a glass tube on top to the next flask, which is a smaller erlenmeyer flask with another stopper with two holes in it in a beaker with salt/ice in it. This will condense the CS2. The H2S will travel out the flask through the other hole into an anti-suck back flask and then into the bleach/NaOH soln. Finally, a glass tube coming from that solution will go into a flame from an alcohol burner, to burn away any remaining C2H2 or H2S. Also, before I begin I will add dry ice where the calcium carbide is and wait for it to sublime completely. That will fill the whole set up with CO2. Not saying that will prevent the C2H2 from exploding, but it wont hurt. What do you all think?

My YouTube Channel

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 29-12-2010 at 16:39

I will not comment on the chemistry, but instead the hydraulics:
Keep in mind where in the system you are building pressure, or creating vacuum. Be sure your sealing is adequate to handle these pressures, positive or negative.

Is your "dropping funnel" a pressure equalizing type? You will be building pressure in the acetylene generator in order to sparge this gas into the liquid sulfur. I don't know the hydraulic head required here but I would minimize it; and the P-E type dropping funnel would be the best.

You will be creating a vacuum when you condense the CS2. Analyze what effect, if any, this will have on the system.

Then you are going to build pressure (or possibly vacuum?) when you absorb the H2S.

Your layout may function just fine, I'm just recommending that you give the hydraulics some thought before firing it up.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-12-2010 at 17:40

Good insight, thanks! I drew out what this would all look like on paper and thought about it, and it seems fine. Condensing might suck back the bleach/NaOH solution, but thats the only thing ill seriously have to worry about, and ill have a flask ready to catch any suck back. The only thing im pretty worried about is how acetylene will handle in these conditions, but ill be extremely safe, I think its ready to try.

My YouTube Channel

Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-1-2011 at 12:12

when you start your reaction you may want to inert your setup first. the small amount of air in your glass will become bomb conditions when you pass acetylene through it. think: series of glass vessels and tubes with acetylene and atmospheric air running toward an open flame...FLASHBACK!!! also i doubt you will reach this pressure under the conditions you describe but bear in mind that acetylene, in a non-baffled container explodes spontaneously when it reaches over 15+ lbs. pressure. but the flashback is a more worrisome event in the setup you describe. positive system pressure won't give you mechanical advantage when dealing with a gas as volatile as acetylene. if it is mixed with air from inside the glassware, the acetylene will try to burn back to the source. i suggest you purge everything VERY well before you start and then take steps to be sure that your system does not drop below atm and pull air in where it can mix with flammables.

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-1-2011 at 12:17

I said I was going to add dry ice to the acetylene generator first, to flood the setup with CO2. That won't solve the problem of acetylene exploding at 15psi but it will prevent it from burning. Also, directly behind that flame is the washing solution, so the flame could backtrack the whole setup, actually it couldn't backtrack any of the setup.

My YouTube Channel

Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-1-2011 at 12:28

just so long as you have safety protocols in place. safety first! happy sciencing.

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-1-2011 at 12:30

Yep, thanks! Weather is pretty bad where I am right now but I'm hoping to try this as soon as I can

My YouTube Channel

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top