Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help in an analysis
polymerian
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 19:37
Help in an analysis

I prepared an ionic liquid, it is quaternary ammonium salt. I want to check its structure through the well known analysis methods.
the reaction is below

[Edited on 7-1-2011 by polymerian]

[Edited on 7-1-2011 by polymerian]
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 20:40

What analytical methods do you have available to use? These days, the standard for organic structure determination is NMR. 1-H NMR should be a good start, and it should be relatively easy to interpret for this molecule.

Everything else (e.g., UV/Vis, FTIR, MS) is simply for confirmation. You will want to do as many of them as possible--as always, it's good to "overdetermine" your structure. It's likely that you have a mixture of diastereomers, so you may want to use something like circular dichroism.

Also, before doing any kind of analysis/spectroscopy on your product, you will want to make sure that its pure. So, start by purifying it.

EDIT: Wait, do you have a reference for this reaction?? Your starting material is a lactam, not an amine. Unless I'm mistaken, it won't react as you have shown here.

[Edited on 1-7-11 by DDTea]

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 06:26

Yeah. I needed to look at it again today to realize the attempt to use an amide as a nucleophile. Also, Cl is a relatively crummy leaving group, as far as they go. I was commenting on the double post. These two threads need to be merged.

Cheers,

O3

[Edited on 7-1-2011 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 09:22

Quote: Originally posted by polymerian  
I prepared an ionic liquid, it is quaternary ammonium salt. I want to check its structure through the well known analysis methods.
the reaction is below

So, you got an unlikely product via an impossible reaction and with nonexistent analytical evidence and don't even bother providing a reference. Congratulations!

Please open referenceless and beginner's threads only in the proper section where I'm moving this.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
7-1-2011 at 09:23

Go To Top