Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Using magnesium as a reducing agent on NaOH?
JCM83
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 21:06
Using magnesium as a reducing agent on NaOH?

Hi sciencemadness, I'm John, I'm a budding chemistry teacher. My background is bio and psych with a minor in chem, so I'm finding that since I managed to snag a job teach HS chem in a bad economy, I intend to keep it. I will ask you guys questions that you may find unbecoming of a chem teacher, but hey- that's how I'll learn, right?

Look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faorfmRkCv0
Dude uses NaOH + MG to get Na metal. :o

How does that work? My understanding was that sodium is more reactive, and is a stronger reducing agent, than magnesium. Larger atomic radius, lower electronegativity, so how'd it end up stealing all the electrons in this reaction?

(Does it have something to do with the reaction being performed in air instead of water?)

Thanks.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 21:56

2Mg + 2NaOH = 2MgO + 2Na + H2

It works because its thermodynamically favorable, despite the fact that the reduction potentials are counter intuitive. And its very thermodynamically favorable, the reaction produces extreme heat, Ive done it several times but couldn't get the sodium that pure from the remaining magnesium oxide. Hope that helps!

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
condennnsa
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 22:39

Apparently, the products of this is a high percentage of sodium hydride.

JCM83, have a look at the Make potassium thread, they do the same thing, but in a controlled manner in organic solvent, and with excellent results
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 22:48

That would probably be the product in an organic solvent but in this reaction the heat is so great it decomposes any sodium hydride formed (decomp point 800C). Haven't calculated the exact change in enthalpy but I know its suppost to be over 1000C

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday

Go To Top