Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Expl.Device leads to charges.
grndpndr
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-1-2011 at 03:03
Expl.Device leads to charges.

Two Men have been arrested in Mitchell (SD) for setting of
an explosive device made up of tin foil and toilet boil cleaner.
The Daily Republic said 19yr old Ryan K. of rural Mitchell and 19yr old Quincy B of Mitchell are charged with reckless burning or exploding for an incident on main ST early sunday morning.Police LT Don Eversion said the reaction from combining the ingredients in a bottle can cause burns or shrapnel injuries. ( !!!!????)

Move this if its felt to be in the wrong place but I felt the importance of how negatively energetics are viewed important,even in a conservative state like SD.Not that what this reaction was should be called energetic/explosion, anymore than a overpressurized tire failing.Less energetic that even a auto backfiring Yet It made our local paper.An occurence that happened 300miles away.No mention that the "shrapnel' is plastic at a velocity that couldnt injure unless caught in the eye and then a mild injury at that.The 'Burns' though possible caused by contact w/ the toilet bowel cleaner/HCI
itself not the result of a fireball from the 'explosive'
Ignorance by the police officer or plain lying to call this an explosion/explosive device etc.If anything it merits a disturbing the peace citation and dumbass award.I cant see how the charges could stand up in a court with legal definitions.No burning not even a fuse involved so "reckless burning"?I really doubt foil and HCI toilet cleaner is on ATFs list of explosives even propellants.Whats next making the newspaper for an explosive device/bomb composed of a 'black cat'
firecracker which are legally sold in this state as are many other pyrotechnic devices.However there are tight restrictions where one may use these devices. I have no symnpathy for the Idiots responsible either.Werent charged with minor in consumption so if they werent drunk..The 2 probably wont live long given thier lack of intelligent decision making.Talk about dumbing down of our young people?!:(

[Edited on 15-1-2011 by grndpndr]

hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 15-1-2011 at 03:25

Quote:
Not that what this reaction was should be called energetic/explosion, anymore than a overpressurized tire failing.

It's worth noting though, that exploding tyres *have* killed people and a gas-producing reaction in a glass bottle with small children around is hardly a good thing.
The media reaction however, does seem overblown!

Gon
Harmless

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 15-1-2011 at 15:36

There is always the possibility that instead of toilet cleaner, they were using _drain cleaner_ (aka NaOH) with aluminum foil, and making hydrogen gas.

Pretty innocent IMHO...

Unless you use a LOT of foil and water and drain cleaner and something like a plastic leaf bag.

:D

When gons are outlawed, only outlaws will have gons.
grndpndr
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-1-2011 at 07:05

Lots of things kill/hurt people Hissingnoise but we dont arrest/charge people on that basis alone.I doubt you could even classify that device as a pyrotechnic.To call it a burning/ explosive device is ludicrous,claiming it might have hurt someone is also stretching it.As was noted tires kill people,so do toothpicks,fish bones etc etc.Fortunately we dont charge the t- pick or the chef for murder.Nor the truckdriver etc unless recklessness/some wrondoings involved. (Not yet anyway,maybe the UK.) No one was hurt, charge on that basis. Not a what if scenario.Was the device illegal?I dont know but I doubt it,all thats left since there were no fatalities
from the tin foil bomb:o Thats called disturbing the peace in legal sense and gross stupidity on another level.

It was damned stupid granted, and a charge for disturbing the peace is warranted but dreaming up a charge akin to bombmaking is ludicrous.
Politically motivated LEO intended to tap into/exploit public fears I would bet for political gain ultimately at the expense of the public.

[Edited on 16-1-2011 by grndpndr]

Go To Top