Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: picric acid toxicity
its me!
Harmless
*




Posts: 10
Registered: 23-8-2019
Location: Czech republic
Member Is Offline

Mood: visibly confused

sad.gif posted on 27-8-2019 at 01:41
picric acid toxicity


I was making some picric acid, and some solution of it got on my skin because of bad glove.... anyway i want to ask about its toxicity (i know its toxic, but not much more) and if i will get cancer from it.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
woelen
Super Administrator
*********




Posts: 6838
Registered: 20-8-2005
Location: Netherlands
Member Is Offline

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 27-8-2019 at 01:52


A one-time exposure will not immediately lead to cancer. I would not worry too much about that. It is like smoking cigarettes. Smoking a single cigarette also does not lead to cancer, it only gives a tiny increase of the chance that you will develop cancer.

A more realistic risk is acute toxicity. Lookup its acute toxicity.
What is important is the size of the exposed spot and the length of time of the exposure. If it only is brief exposure (a minute or so) before you rinsed it away and the exposed area is just a few square cm, then I would not worry at all. If the exposure is on a large part of your hand and the exposure has been for tens of minutes in that glove, then it is wise to lookup its acute toxicity.




The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
its me!
Harmless
*




Posts: 10
Registered: 23-8-2019
Location: Czech republic
Member Is Offline

Mood: visibly confused

[*] posted on 27-8-2019 at 02:16


Quote: Originally posted by woelen
||
|| A one-time exposure will not immediately lead to cancer. I would not worry too much about that. It is like smoking cigarettes. Smoking a single cigarette also does not lead to cancer, it only gives a tiny increase of the chance that you will develop cancer.
||
|| A more realistic risk is acute toxicity. Lookup its acute toxicity.
|| What is important is the size of the exposed spot and the length of time of the exposure. If it only is brief exposure (a minute or so) before you rinsed it away and the exposed area is just a few square cm, then I would not worry at all. If the exposure is on a large part of your hand and the exposure has been for tens of minutes in that glove, then it is wise to lookup its acute toxicity.

Thanks, i had it on hand for qite long time, but it was just few sqare cm ( about 3 sqare cm) on 2 fingers.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Herr Haber
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 576
Registered: 29-1-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-8-2019 at 03:51


Quote: Originally posted by its me!
||
|| I was making some picric acid, and some solution of it got on my skin because of bad glove.... anyway i want to ask about its toxicity (i know its toxic, but not much more) and if i will get cancer from it.

Now find a UV light and look at yourself :)
It's not that toxic, dont worry. It was / is used on live animals (rabbits afaik)
I once had some on the ear. My biologist friend couldnt stop laughing. The UV light is perfect to show spills.




The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Tdep
National Hazard
****




Posts: 460
Registered: 31-1-2013
Location: Fixed Lasers
Member Is Offline

Mood: *laser noises*

[*] posted on 27-8-2019 at 17:35


Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber
||
The UV light is perfect to show spills.
||

Are you saying picric acid is fluorescent? Does it glow yellow under UV light?
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Herr Haber
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 576
Registered: 29-1-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-8-2019 at 12:18


Quote: Originally posted by Tdep
||
|| Are you saying picric acid is fluorescent? Does it glow yellow under UV light?
||

That's what I remembered but was wrong.
I remember now the light came from one of those crappy leds from the beginning of the century with a blueish tint not a UV light.

In fact... I just used several leds, including UV in search for very old spots on the bench.
With normal lighting the stain is invisible unless you know it's there. A strong cool light washes it out, warmer white is slightly better but UV actually makes it look a very dark red that stands out from the wood.

And from skin.
I had to double check :P




The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
View user's profile View All Posts By User
teodor
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 164
Registered: 28-6-2019
Location: Heerenveen
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 29-8-2019 at 06:20


UV light is carcinogenic
View user's profile View All Posts By User
unionised
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 4064
Registered: 1-11-2003
Location: UK
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-8-2019 at 12:26


Picric acid was formerly used as a burn medication.
The patients generally survived repeated large exposure.
It's not good to get it on your skin, but it's unlikely to do any harm
View user's profile View All Posts By User
teodor
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 164
Registered: 28-6-2019
Location: Heerenveen
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 30-8-2019 at 01:00


It's funny that nowadays we should distinguish between "really toxic" and "people of certain category say that it is toxic", "real carcinogenic" and "people say it could be carcinogenic". I believe that if somebody will ask those people to study oxygen (O2) by their methods they will find that it is highly toxic, carcinogenic and oxidizing also.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Herr Haber
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 576
Registered: 29-1-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-8-2019 at 03:19


Quote: Originally posted by teodor
||
|| It's funny that nowadays we should distinguish between "really toxic" and "people of certain category say that it is toxic", "real carcinogenic" and "people say it could be carcinogenic". I believe that if somebody will ask those people to study oxygen (O2) by their methods they will find that it is highly toxic, carcinogenic and oxidizing also.

It's funny like broad statements.

Quote: Originally posted by teodor
||
|| UV light is carcinogenic

Somehow, I'm less worried about my LED's than say.... a bulb to sterilize water.




The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
View user's profile View All Posts By User

  Go To Top