Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Processing lead from batteries - finding a method that works
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 26-9-2019 at 11:33

Quote: Originally posted by rockyit98  
ok if that what you want
PbSO4 + Na2CO3---->PbCO3 +Na2SO4 The conversion of lead sulphate to lead carbonate in sodium carbonate media https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/0304-386X(92)90044-Z

PbCO3----(300 to 400C)------>PbO +CO2

2PbO + C →2Pb + CO2 (700C)

[Edited on 26-9-2019 by rockyit98]

solubility of lead sulfate in water 0.0032 g/100 mL (15 °C)
even if you don't dissolve the sulfate and let the equilibrium go (solubility of the carbonate 0.00011 g/100 mL (20 °C)) you eould need to wait a looooong time, and it's useless as you can just heat the sulfate to the decomposition temperature to get lead oxide, temperature already needed to reduce the oxide with charcoal

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-9-2019 at 20:28

I get the feeling I'm missing something obvious with this proposal, but what if you throw the PbO in a bucket with some dilute nitric acid and run some current through it?

Won't you get pretty pure lead collecting on one electrode and oxygen bubbling off the other?

The Nitric would be re-generated by the current so it could dissolve more lead oxide and so proceed ad infinitum.(Or at least until the bucket gets too much sludge and whatnot in it.)

Maybe mighty slow, but a hands-off process where you can just let it run 24/7.

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2019 at 03:04

Quote: Originally posted by SWIM  
I get the feeling I'm missing something obvious with this proposal, but what if you throw the PbO in a bucket with some dilute nitric acid and run some current through it?

Won't you get pretty pure lead collecting on one electrode and oxygen bubbling off the other?

The Nitric would be re-generated by the current so it could dissolve more lead oxide and so proceed ad infinitum.(Or at least until the bucket gets too much sludge and whatnot in it.)

Maybe mighty slow, but a hands-off process where you can just let it run 24/7.

Hmmm, that's an interesting proposal. i have to wonder what the lead is going to look like that collects on the annode. Is it going to be a nice crystal/solid metal or is it going to be a fluffy powder that sometimes happens with a CuSO4 solution with electrolysis between 2 copper electrodes. I've had the copper turn to a brown "dirt"/powder that has massive surface area - which is very easily oxidized b/c of surface area. If the lead is the same, heating it may just turn it into PbO again.

Now I can't remember if the brown copper formed on the anode or cathode as I think I was trying to make CuSO4 from the reaction but I was shocked at the slimy dark brown mess that evolved on one of the electrodes.

I'm thinking controlling the amperage and voltage will be necessary to get a proper result of lead, but this might be worth looking into.
rockyit98
Hazard to Others

Mood: no mood is a good mood

[*] posted on 27-9-2019 at 04:32

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
Quote: Originally posted by rockyit98  
ok if that what you want
PbSO4 + Na2CO3---->PbCO3 +Na2SO4 The conversion of lead sulphate to lead carbonate in sodium carbonate media https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/0304-386X(92)90044-Z

PbCO3----(300 to 400C)------>PbO +CO2

2PbO + C →2Pb + CO2 (700C)

[Edited on 26-9-2019 by rockyit98]

solubility of lead sulfate in water 0.0032 g/100 mL (15 °C)
even if you don't dissolve the sulfate and let the equilibrium go (solubility of the carbonate 0.00011 g/100 mL (20 °C)) you eould need to wait a looooong time, and it's useless as you can just heat the sulfate to the decomposition temperature to get lead oxide, temperature already needed to reduce the oxide with charcoal

Lead(II) sulfate decomposes when heated above 1000 °C:
you can't reduce it to metal directly
PbSO4 +2C ------(700C)----->PbS +2CO2
maybe using CaO helps
2PbSO4 +5C +2CaO ------(700C)-----> 2CaS + 2Pb +5CO2

"A mind is a terrible thing to lose"-Meisner
Hexabromobenzene
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-8-2022 at 08:35

You can watch this video from the Russian YouTube. Here all lead is recovered from the battery. Before reduction of the paste treated with sodium bicarbonate and mixed with charcoal. Then it is heated in a steel retort in natural draft furnace at 1000 degrees. As a fuel, wood or coal anthracite is used. Some amount sodium hydroxide used as flux.

The author of the video uses a gas mask when working. Due to high temperature, lead condenses on the pipe as the author of the video wrote

https://youtu.be/UoXRDmS-QIw

But I think that the electrolytic reduction of the battery mass is much better as in this video. This method gives powder lead that can be melted. As a flux, use polypropylene or polyethylene. They will blow out the air from the smelting container and the oxidized lead reducted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIACQrV71ck

[Edited on 26-8-2022 by Hexabromobenzene]

[Edited on 26-8-2022 by Hexabromobenzene]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top