Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ferric Ammonium Citrate + Calcium Chloride Gives No Precipitate
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2019 at 13:29
Ferric Ammonium Citrate + Calcium Chloride Gives No Precipitate

I dissolved 1g of ferric ammonium citrate in a small amount of water (few ml).

Likewise, I dissolved 1g of calcium chloride in a small amount of water (few ml).

I mixed the two. Since both calcium and citrate ions are present, and the solubility of calcium citrate is less than one gram per 100ml of water, I would have expected to see a precipitate of calcium citrate. But no precipitate, and no visible changes at all. Why?

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 27-9-2019 at 13:47

Because the citrate is coordinated to the iron(III) ions and won't let go. If you add sodium hydroxide, you will also not see any iron(III) hydroxide forming.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-9-2019 at 12:42

I tried adding NaOH solution to the mixture. At first, I get a gray precipitate. This might be the calcium citrate I was looking for, but it might also be a mixture of iron and calcium hydroxides. As I continue to add more NaOH, the precipitate becomes brown, and appears to be iron(III) hydroxide.

Also tried adding NaOH solution to just the ferric ammonium citrate. I get a brown precipitate only, likely iron (III) hydroxide, and I do smell ammonia.

Go To Top