Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 3 NaClO → 2 NaCl + NaClO3 > KCl + NaClO3 → NaCl + KClO3
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2020 at 20:13
3 NaClO → 2 NaCl + NaClO3 > KCl + NaClO3 → NaCl + KClO3

Boiling bleach disproportionates sodium hypochlorite into sodium chloride and sodium chlorate...

They say the boiling is required for this reaction to work; you can't simply let the bleach evaporate.

Question is how much boiling time does it take for this disproportion to take place ?

I would rather just boil for a few minutes in the microwave (I can bring the microwave outside) if that's all it takes then set the solution aside to evaporate and do the next step in a few days.

I like this website https://www.thoughtco.com/potassium-chlorate-bleach-and-salt...
Microtek
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2020 at 23:30

The disproportionation happens faster at higher temperatures, it is not the process of boiling it, but the elevated temperatures that are necessary. You need to keep it at high temp for long enough that the reaction has time to "complete", but I don't know how long would be a good choice. I would guess that 30 minutes is ok, but longer will evaporate some of the water, so your yield will be higher when you add the potassium salt.
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 12:26

I am going to skip the microwave and use the side burner on the BBQ. If the wind ever quits.

But faster at higher temperatures, very interesting because at "a pressure of 1 bar or approximately 100 kPa (15 psi) above atmospheric pressure, water will reach a temperature of 121 °C (250 °F).

Maybe that would increase yield past whats obtained from boiling at what ever temp bleach normally boils.

Might have to explore that.
symboom
International Hazard

Mood: Doing science while it is still legal since 2010

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 13:40

A test would be if the solution reacts with hydrogen peroxide given there is no transition metal contaminates so if oxygen forms bleach is still not fully converted

Chemistry video Storage
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/kbll6gz9bdb4q/Videos
The State of Mad Science newsletter
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=98577
My open source scratch paper
Pastebin.com/u/symboom
Natures Intellectual Organic Peroxide. >>Ascaridole <<
2020 year of science
Oxone
Used for the production of --> CH2O/Cl2/ClO2/Br2/I2
------------------------------------->>Hydrogen Peroxide <<
Sodium had its fame long enough time for Calcium
Microtek
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 23:42

As a rule of thumb, a 10 degree (kelvin) rise in temperature will double the reaction rate, so 120C should be about 4 times the rate at boiling. Note that it won't affect the yield directly, just the time it takes to get to completion. The advantage of boiling is that by reducing the volume of the solution, less product will be dissolved in it rather than filtered off as crystals, so your yield will be higher.

Go To Top