Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A neodymium extraction (?)
BauArf56
Hazard to Self

Mood: energetic

[*] posted on 4-3-2020 at 02:14
A neodymium extraction (?)

Hi! Yesterday i tried to synthetize neodymium oxide (Nd2O3) from Nd2Fe14B magnets. For first, i've broked some magnets into small pieces (with the nichel external layer), then i placed them in a copper sulfate solution. After some hour, the solution turned orange. In that solution should be iron sulfate, nichel sulfate, neodymium sulfate and some boron (i'm not sure about the Nd2(SO4)3). I add sodium hydroxide to the solution and the solution turned black. Theoretically, after the NaOH addition, should precipitate iron hydroxide, nichel hydroxide and neodymium hydroxide. I was thinking that was black for Nd(OH)3, but it is purple, so i exluded his formation. Why was black? Is there any other method for extracting it? Thanks
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 4-3-2020 at 02:55

Isolating Nd from a magnet is not that easily done. You get a complicated mix of all kinds of chemicals.

I would proceed by using a strong acid, to dissolve all of the metallic material. The boron most likely remains behind as solid, the metals go in solution. You'll get Ni, Fe, Nd, and other lanthanide metals (which usually are present in cheap Nd, used for making the magnets). There are threads on sciencemadness on extraction of Nd. try to find that information and read that.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top