Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dum Question
Chemorg42
Hazard to Others

Mood: Concentrated

[*] posted on 29-4-2020 at 07:50
Dum Question

OK, so this is a question so obvious and simple I didn't even think of it until I actually had my equipment and chemicals.
How to pour mineral acids from OTC bottles into beakers safely?
Some of those bottles are quite large and are awkward to pour, especially when the contents cannot contact skin. Is there something simple I am missing?
Any help is appreciated.

Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood a single word. (attributed to Niels Bohr)
I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics. (Richard Feynman)
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-4-2020 at 08:04

My suggestion is to divide it into smaller bottles that you will use in the lab. Thats what I do with my HCl, from the 4L jug to the 900mL jug. The risk of getting it on your skin is there but it a one off while you divide it. Plus if you are wearing gloves and long sleeves it shouldn't get on your skin. Than when working in the lab you can use your 500mL reagent bottle to pour into the beaker.

Though I am one to talk, I pour HCl all the time without gloves and have gotten it on my skin. To be honest I would rather a few drops of HCl on my skin than a few drops of 30% H2O2. The burn from HCl easily goes away with water and bicarb, with H2O2 all you can do is wait until the itching burn goes away.

Edit: Use a funnel to divide it into smaller bottles, even if you only have 1 small bottle per reagent, the risk is only there when refiling the reagent bottle. I made the stupid mistake of ordering 250mL bottle, they are too small I feel.

[Edited on 29-4-2020 by Syn the Sizer]
mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 29-4-2020 at 08:53

Just pour it as you would do with any other liquid , there is no point in overtaking it. I have few 20liter containers of mineral acids and usually, when I run out of acid in my laboratory 1l bottles, I simply take 1l beaker fill it with acid and then pour directly into smaller (1l in this case) bottle. I spilled it several times both on my skin and floor, but usually I washed it while after. But be careful not to get it in your eyes...
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-4-2020 at 09:03

Quote: Originally posted by mackolol  

I spilled it several times both on my skin and floor, but usually I washed it while after. But be careful not to get it in your eyes...

Exactly, many of the common mineral acids aren't instant burn when they contact your skin unless hot. Just wash and neutralize quickly and its fine, of course NO gloves with HNO3. I still say high conc. H2O2 is worse than simple mineral acids.

I have dripped 98% H2SO4 on a wood floor and didn't realize for a while, it started to leave a black char spot. I covered it in bicarb. and added water, let it react for a bit. doused in water and wiped, no more black spot.
Chemorg42
Hazard to Others

Mood: Concentrated

[*] posted on 29-4-2020 at 10:28

OK, thanks, I am only working with a 1L bottle, so I think I should be fine. I am only working with HCl, and it seems that I have wildly over-estimated it's danger-level. Society's chemophobia I guess.

Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood a single word. (attributed to Niels Bohr)
I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics. (Richard Feynman)
morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-4-2020 at 13:13

Lots of times I will just pipette out what I need.
outer_limits
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridized

[*] posted on 29-4-2020 at 13:27

Glass rod is very helpfull, you can pour liquids very slow but safely - without spills
Lion850
National Hazard

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 29-4-2020 at 13:52

I also pour from my 2.5 liter bottles the acids are supplied in into 800ml working bottles. And when doing this I wear gloves, safety glasses and goggles. I also do this in a big plastic container to contain any spills. Use a glass funnel and make sure it is clean and dry. Watch out for fumes rising up, ammonia fumes from strong solutions are probably the worst. Always have water and paper towel nearby and I always have a kilo or so of baking powder on the nearby shelf in case. Concentrate do it slowly and steady and don’t be side tracked. Have a mental plan how to get away in case you drop a full bottle.
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 29-4-2020 at 22:55

I use a pipette when the level in the bottle is high. After a while the level gets low enough that pouring requires me to tip the bottle at a high enough angle that it no longer runs down the side of the bottle

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-4-2020 at 16:14

An old technique to pour liquids from a bottle (one-handed): grasp the open bottle in one hand, and with the forefinger of that hand, hold a glass rod across the top the bottle with about an inch of the rod past the lip of the bottle. Now pour slowly and the liquid will adhere to the glass rod as it flows into the receiving vessel. Best practice is to hold the bottle's cap or stopper in your other hand and not put in down on anything, replacing it in the bottle after dispensing what you need.
CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 16:27

Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  
An old technique to pour liquids from a bottle (one-handed): grasp the open bottle in one hand, and with the forefinger of that hand, hold a glass rod across the top the bottle with about an inch of the rod past the lip of the bottle. Now pour slowly and the liquid will adhere to the glass rod as it flows into the receiving vessel. Best practice is to hold the bottle's cap or stopper in your other hand and not put in down on anything, replacing it in the bottle after dispensing what you need.

This is easier with reasonably wide-mouth bottles. To pour from a narrow mouth bottle, another technique is to insert a glass rod into the bottle being transferred to, and if possible hold the rod end against the wall. Then while holding the lip of the bottle you are dispensing FROM against the glass rod, pour slowly.
A good way to practice these techniques is to transfer water from one container to another.

Go To Top