Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: My problem with pure fuming hno3
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-1-2024 at 01:34

If you add the urea in small portions and wait until the exotherm has subsided before adding more, runaway should not be possible. The advantage of heating to 50C is that the reaction is much faster, so you do not have to wait so long between additions and you do not as easily add too much, which would lead to loss of nitric and could also lead to an uncomfortably high temperature rise.
DennyDevHE77
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2024 at 02:39

What are some legal uses for concentrated nitric acid (not involving energy-rich compounds)? An opportunity has arisen to buy a few dozen liters of 97-98% nitric acid, factory, white, in Teflon canisters. But I can't think of any reason why it would be needed by, say, a small home handyman. All that comes to mind, refining, jewelry, all of that is solvable and 70% nitric acid. And the big question is, how long would you get to store that kind of acid? I mean, it's decomposing. I wouldn't be surprised if it's red in a year.
Nemo_Tenetur
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-2-2024 at 07:03

Quote: Originally posted by DennyDevHE77  
to buy a few dozen liters of 97-98% nitric acid, factory, white, in Teflon canisters

What´s the expected price? Sigma-Aldrich/Merck sell it in Germany for 557 Euro per liter:

fuming.jpg - 189kB

I don´t know in which country you live and about the legal regulations, but to resell it to earn money sounds reasonable.
DennyDevHE77
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2024 at 07:58

Well, I'm from Russia (no politics, please, I'm against the war, putin and his oligarchy).

The question is caused by the fact that our turnover of reagents is very bureaucratic, in simple words, what is not prohibited is allowed.

We have so-called precursor tables, there are only three of them. From I with the strictest restrictions, to III with the exception of some control measures.

For example, acetic anhydride is located in table I, and it is almost impossible to buy it. And sulfuric acid is in Table III, and it is sold upon presentation of a passport (that you are an adult). The restrictions are mainly aimed at combating the manufacture of drugs, and the sphere of energy-saturated compounds is almost not affected. Nitric acid is not on these lists.

Therefore, nitric acid of any concentration is sold as NaOH, simply as a caustic substance. And purely legally, it is completely legal.

Another thing is that the sales firms may already have questions. Why do you need it? Is it for yourself? If you show yourself incorrectly, you can say goodbye to the likely purchase. For example, I was once refused the sale of sulfuric acid. Just because, when asked to whom you are buying, I accidentally said "to a friend in the garage." That's why I need a reason that could justify buying almost anhydrous nitric acid. So for example, now when I buy sulfuric acid, I immediately mention that I need it for etching glass together with ammonium fluoride.

And at the expense of the price, if you take a large container (20l = 30 kg), the cost will be 34.650 ₽ ($ 380.45). This is very expensive (for many, a monthly salary), while 70% acid will cost $ 60 and 65% will cost only $ 40 (because in Russia 70% nitric acid is produced only as "especially pure for analysis", and 65% may be technical, hence the difference)

price.png - 55kB price65.png - 85kB

[Edited on 12-2-2024 by DennyDevHE77]
Nemo_Tenetur
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-2-2024 at 08:48

In Europe, we also have schedules for drug precursors since many years and since several years also schedules for explosive precursors. Nitric acid is since a few years heavy regulated, concentrations of three percent and more is prohibited for the general public. Apart from this, I´m pretty sure that the so-called three letter agencies watch carefully the trade with explosive and drug precursors even if it is not regulated or prohibited.

So I think the acquisition of such a huge amount fuming nitric acid could draw attention.

If you keep the container cool (if possible, below room temperature) the fuming acid should remain usable for most purposes for a long time. If it discolors and the concentration decreases, you can distill it under reduced pressure with a dehydrating agent to push the concentration up.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top