Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hydrofluoric acid + allylbenzene
ribbit
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-2-2011 at 00:46
hydrofluoric acid + allylbenzene

Hi SM, I have a quick question and I was hoping maybe I could leave on your doorstep tonight perhaps pick up the answer tomorrow... let the night transmute my plea into newfound glee, so to speak. Can hydrofluoric acid or any form of fluoride be used to halogenate a basic allylbenzene such as eugenol or others in the way that bromine and iodine can? What about chlorine? if not, why? THANK YOU!
Chordate
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-2-2011 at 01:48

Hypothetically, maybe. It should be noted that haloacids are usually pretty unreactive in EAS reactions, which is why people use other sources like the pure halogen with a lewis acid catalyst. Flourine is fairly reactive and people do it without, but any sort of aromatic fluroination is going to require long elevated reflux and thats something you just don't want to do with HF (well, at least I don't). The classic way I belive is to use potassium fluoride, but the new and awesome way is to use a quaternary ammonium salt of fluorine, which acts both to give you fluorine and as a PTC to help keep everything mixed well.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 24-2-2011 at 11:12

Quote: Originally posted by ribbit  
Can hydrofluoric acid or any form of fluoride be used to halogenate a basic allylbenzene such as eugenol or others in the way that bromine and iodine can? What about chlorine? if not, why? THANK YOU!

Please open referenceless threads, particularly if they start with questions too vague to be answerable only in the Beginnings section where I'm moving this.

What is it that you ask? Bromine adds on the double bond of eugenol and then brominates the position ortho to the hydroxy group. You end up with 2-bromo-4-(2,3-dibromopropyl)-6-methoxyphenol. If there is less than 2 equivalents of Br2 available you probably get a mixture of the above, 4-(2,3-dibromopropyl)-2-methoxyphenol and unreacted eugenol. But anyway, I'm sure this is described in the old literature, because bromination with Br2 was a common method to derivatize such liquid compounds.

Hydrofluoric acid or the usual fluorides are not electrophilic halogenating reagents, so obviously they can not react in any way similar to Cl2, Br2 or I2. Fluorine can not be used as it cleaves the C-C bonds (burns anything organic). Chlorine will give you the corresponding product, 2-chloro-4-(2,3-dichloropropyl)-6-methoxyphenol, if the chlorination is conducted in CH2Cl2 or other inert aprotic solvent, but the reaction might be less selective than bromination (chlorinations of p-alkylphenols are often accompanied by the ipso chlorination at the para position). Electrophilic additions of iodine on double bonds are usually ineffective unless the double bond is highly nucleophilic, so I don't know if it I2 would react well with eugenol.

Edit:

Here are some references for the bromination and chlorination of evgenol with Br2 and Cl2:
J. Med. Chem., 1966, 9 , 618–620. DOI: 10.1021/jm00322a045
J. Chem. Eng. Data, 1982, 27, 209–210. DOI: 10.1021/je00028a033

Apparently, with proper choice of conditions it is possible to brominate eugenol to either 4-(2,3-dibromopropyl)-6-methoxyphenol, 2-bromo-4-(2,3-dibromopropyl)-6-methoxyphenol or 2,3-bromo-4-(2,3-dibromopropyl)-6-methoxyphenol. 4-(2,3-Dichloropropyl)-6-methoxyphenol can be obtained, but the 2-chloro-4-(2,3-dichloropropyl)-6-methoxyphenol has not yet been described in the literature. None of the possible electrophilic fluorination or iodination products is known in the literature.

[Edited on 24/2/2011 by Nicodem]

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
24-2-2011 at 11:12

Go To Top