Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Promising drug store auction in upstate NY on 10/10
savoyard1
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-10-2020 at 19:04
Promising drug store auction in upstate NY on 10/10

I just ran across a listing for a drug store auction in Saranac Lake, NY. The drug store did compounding, and they're auctioning off all the chemicals--evidently in large lots (six to twelve shelves per lot). Gauging from the labels, they don't seem to have bought much since around 1970 (and I'd bet that some of them go back over a century). Still, the bottles, though dusty, are almost all intact and have contents. I also suspect that the auctioneers haven't gone through the chemicals to remove substances that require prescriptions, should some of those pique the interest of biochemists or organic chemists or pharmacologists or historians. The URL is https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=34126...

Here's the catch. This is not an Internet auction--or, even if it is, they require that the winner cart away the goods that day (Saturday, October 10). And Saranac Lake is way, way up in the Adirondacks--300 driving miles from NYC; the biggest city within 100 miles might be Burlington, Vermont, and the closest good-sized city is Ottawa. Remote buyers like me are just plain out of luck. But just in case some of us are in those parts, or are interested in making a road trip, I thought I might bring this to your attention. Yours, savoyard1

P.S. Woohoo! My first post after a month lurking! Thanks to all of you for making this such a lively, helpful board!

https://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=34126...
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-10-2020 at 07:19

Darn, I was up there last year for an event, but a long drive for now. Years ago I went to places like this, where you could buy almost any chemical imaginable.

I once got some items like these at a store that did estates, and it include some old medicines still in the box that I need to find in my pile of stuff and investigate further. But I know that they have not been used for many decades... If you are nearby, can get some of this, I would jump on the chance, as this is a rare opportunity. Also, many peoiple collect old pharmacy glassware, and pay way more than it is worth as chemical glassware for use in collections.

Go To Top