Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electrochemistry Power Source
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 24-2-2011 at 20:55
Electrochemistry Power Source

Couldn't one perhaps modify a glas-col mini-trol and use it as a power source? Maybe not modify the minitrol itself but rather get some plugs that fit into it, splice the wires (positive & negative) and connect them to electrodes?

Or is this stupid dangerous?
Chordate
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-2-2011 at 22:55

A used variable DC power supply can be had for 50-60 bucks, and a 30 dollar computer power supply can be modified to give you similar results.

I am pretty sure those units are AC, which doesn't have "positive and negative" so it wont work for most electrochem unless you throw a diode bridge on it and and wire from there. You'd also want to calibrate it using a solid multimeter or you won't know how many coulombs are passing through. You might also want/need to possibly smooth the current with some resistors and a capacitor.

Sounds like a pain.

Anyway, heres a guy who made an ATX power supply based bench power supply: http://www.instructables.com/id/ATX--%3E-Lab-Bench-Power-Sup...
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 25-2-2011 at 11:36

Thanks yea I wasn't sure what kind of current you needed and am a complete noob when it comes to electronics. I'll see what I can do :) thanks again!

Go To Top