Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitrobenzoic acid aminobenzoic acid synthesis
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 3-3-2011 at 06:24
Nitrobenzoic acid aminobenzoic acid synthesis

I am looking for synthesis of nitro and amino benzoic acids.

I don't have sulfuric acid, but maybe those compounds can be nitrated with even dilluted nitric acid, without sulfuric (like mononitrophenol):
I researched a little bit about that and I saw some ways to do it:

1)
Nitrate polystyrene, oxidize with more nitric acid to nitrobenzoic acid and then it can be reduced to aminobenzoic acids. It should yield para isomer.

2)
Nitrate benzoic acid, it should yield mono isomer, then it can be reduced to amino.

WIll that form explosive compounds? Because I don't want to prepare explosives and I don't want to blow myself up.

Another question is what is the procedure for these two ways, can I just use like 30% nitric acid to do everything without sulfuric like mononitration of phenols?
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 3-3-2011 at 08:11

Nitration of polystyrene will require stronger acid than 30% and likely sulfuric acid as well. My guess would be that it mononitrates about as readily as toluene. An alkyl group is only mildly activating compared to a phenol.

Nitration of benzoic acid or an alkyl benzoate is not a trivial operation, as the ester/acid group is quite deactivating. See the rather severe conditions used here for only a mononitration: http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?prep=cv1p0372

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
3-3-2011 at 12:08

Go To Top