Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What's this glassware?
Dr. Who
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-4-2021 at 20:25
What's this glassware?

This piece of glassware recently showed up on a used site in my area for $20 CAD. Any idea what the heck it is and if it's worth it?

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 9.22.43 PM.png - 2.2MB
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-4-2021 at 20:36

Is it a weird sep funnel? And what is the tape looking stuff all over it?
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 12-4-2021 at 20:39

Looks to be a vessel for storing/dispensing something gaseous. The tape wrapped around it indicates that it’s meant to be put under vacuum, and the stopcock type is also one that’s meant to be used under vacuum, because it requires evacuation in order to make a good seal. If the vessel was pressurized, the stopcock could pop out. See here: http://www.ilpi.com/glassblowing/glasscomponents.html

Is it worth it? It’s probably not the most useful thing for an amateur, but it’s far more expensive to buy one new. Heck, that stopcock alone is worth $20.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 18-4-2021 at 17:23

Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  
Looks to be a vessel for storing/dispensing something gaseous. The tape wrapped around it indicates that it’s meant to be put under vacuum, and the stopcock type is also one that’s meant to be used under vacuum, because it requires evacuation in order to make a good seal. If the vessel was pressurized, the stopcock could pop out. See here: http://www.ilpi.com/glassblowing/glasscomponents.html

Is it worth it? It’s probably not the most useful thing for an amateur, but it’s far more expensive to buy one new. Heck, that stopcock alone is worth $20.

That’s a great resource...not overly dense nor light....

Go To Top