Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Erythritol tetranitrate: what safety precautions should I take?
theAngryLittleBunny
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-11-2021 at 17:09
Erythritol tetranitrate: what safety precautions should I take?

So I made some Erythritol tetranitrate yesterday by esterifying erythritol in a mix of sulfuric and fuming nitric acid. When filtering I washed it with a sodium bicarbonate solution to neutralize any acid and now I have about 9g of erythritol tetranitrate. I still plan to dissolve it in ethanol and precipitate it in water just to get out all acids.

I tested a bit and it seems to be fairly stabile, but I still get a bit nervous whenever I go near it or handle it. I also read that it is quite stabile, but I'd still like to ask here, are there things I have to pay special attention to when handling or storing it? I read that iron and aluminium lowers it's stability, so should I avoid ever touching it with a metal spatula? And is it important to get it completely free of residual acid, like with nitrocellulose. I just wanna be extra careful and make sure there is no chance of this stuff exploding when I store it. Any advice would be appreciated.

[Edited on 5-11-2021 by theAngryLittleBunny]
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-11-2021 at 19:29

The second page of the ETN Stability as a primary explosive thread discusses this a bit.

theAngryLittleBunny
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-11-2021 at 20:00

okay thanks, I'll read it

Go To Top