Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: First nickel nitrate synthesis... did I do it right?
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-5-2023 at 16:38

Mother liquor re-used ? Your nickel nitrate will then certainly contain some HNO3 which might be a problem if you are going to use it in a synth involving a basic compound.

@Raid: Of course, more surface area, the more violent the reaction. The first time I burned myself with magnesium it wasnt even lit... (HCl + Mg in a test tube between my knees).
You might want to start by using a chunk of Nickel and keep a few strips or powder to soak up any remaining acid.

I' do this when dissolving silver. I always keep a few sterling teaspoons around to drop in the reactor if I notice most of the silver is gone after heating. Sometimes I dont do that when I want ultrafine silver powder but then the process is wasteful on copper because the solution will also contain HNO3.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Raid
Hazard to Everyone

Mood: School

[*] posted on 26-5-2023 at 05:59

When I make nickel nitrate I use nickel rounds that I bought off of ebay. They work really well and when the reaction is completed I can just take the unreacted nickel out of the solution.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top