Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Proper disposal of asorbic acid sulfate
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 27-1-2022 at 18:20
Proper disposal of asorbic acid sulfate

I have been painting fiberglass substrate using a mix of graphite, polyurethane, thinner then electroplating my core material.
Getting very good results.

I want to try using copper nanoparticles by mixing asorbic acid and copper sulfate.

I have found many videos showing the process, but not many details about what the reactions are.

Im assuming that the ascorbic acid acts as a cation to the sulfate ion in a single displacement type reaction. Still digging into this process. Organic chemistry is so weird. This thing has 3 oh groups and is an acid. Lots to learn

what is the proper method for disposing of the solution after the copper is extracted?

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 27-1-2022 at 19:32

I think this might be what you are looking for.
SM link
Woelen link
Rainwater
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-1-2022 at 02:23

Very good read. It seems the real reaction is still a mystery

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 28-1-2022 at 09:56

Quote: Originally posted by Rainwater  
Im assuming that the ascorbic acid acts as a cation to the sulfate ion in a single displacement type reaction. Still digging into this process. Organic chemistry is so weird. This thing has 3 oh groups and is an acid. Lots to learn
While I can’t tell you what is happening here either, I can tell you that it’s not this. Organic chemistry seems weird when all you know are the simplest inorganic reactions (single displacement, double displacement, etc). Once you learn more about it, you’ll realize that it isn’t weird, it’s just different, and you can’t think about it in the same context as simple ionic reactions.

For your proposal to be happening with ascorbic acid becoming cationic, that would mean one of the hydroxyl groups would have to become protonated to H2O+. This would be a strongly acidic species that requires a strong acid to make. Something like sulfuric acid. Let’s say sulfuric acid is actually formed in this reaction (which is possible). You now have a dilute mixture of sulfuric acid and ascorbic acid oxidation products in solution. The sulfuric acid could reversibly protonate the ascorbic acid’s hydroxyl or ketone groups just as it protonates water to form hydronium ions, but the key word here is reversible. Until a change occurs that causes something to fall out of solution or otherwise upset the equilibrium, you’ve just got an aqueous soup of various ions with protons transferring back and forth. It’s similar to if you mixed sodium nitrate and potassium chloride in aqueous solution. You’d no longer have sodium nitrate and potassium chloride, you just have a mixture of four different ions. The ions don’t “remember” who they were originally associated with once they’re all bouncing around in solution. You wouldn’t be able to isolate the umm “ascorbatonium sulfate.” It would lose water and form an alkene (and realistically, a nasty mess) if you concentrated it too much.

Anyway, the point of this unexpectedly long-winded post is that an “ascorbic acid sulfate” doesn’t exist as an isolable compound, and based on our current knowledge, you can probably treat the waste solution as a mixture of non hazardous organic products and dilute sulfuric acid. There may be copper(I) ions present as well, so perhaps try adding some NaOH solution to the waste to see if there’s a yellow precipitate. The waste should be non hazardous enough to dump down the drain though.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Rainwater
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-1-2022 at 15:26

Thanks. I'll try adding some lye. Love color changes.

clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 28-1-2022 at 16:25

The reaction of ascorbic acid with copper sulfate is a redox reaction; Cu2+ is reduced to Cu+ or Cu (don't remember) and ascorbic acid is oxidized to dehydroascorbic acid. Sulfate ion is highly inert and is unchanged.

Ascorbic acid is a reductione:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductone

which is a ketone attached to a 1,2-dihydroxyalkene. Oxidation yields a tricarbonyl. Normally this would be reversible: the keto-enediol is a reducing agent, the tricarbonyl is an oxidizing agent. But ascorbate is a particularly good reducing agent among the reductic acids because the product hydrolyses to give 4,5,6-trihydroxy-2,3-dioxohexanoic acid (diketogulonate), which is irreversible (some studies indicate HI may convert DKG back to ascorbate, but otherwise irreversible).

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Rainwater
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-1-2022 at 17:01

Yall got me searching for a textbook now. Openstax doesn't have much in their chemistry book about this subject. Just 1 chapter.
Found one by Robert C. Neuman, Jr. Gonna give it a good read. Its pdf. I perfer hardcovers

Rainwater
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-1-2022 at 08:29

So i took the waste solution and then slowly added 25% by weight NaOH(aq) until the solution could not be seen through. Let it settle into layers, then dripped in more NaOH to check if more percipitate formed as the drops enter the solution they crash down through the upper layer. As soon as they contact the yellow, an almost black blue formed then varnishes. For a short time, 3 layers are formed, light green (top) blue/red (middle) light orange bottom.

https://youtu.be/KOHqL406-7k

After a few minutes of research. It looks like i should be forming copper(ii) hydroxide.
But thats not the case because when i NaOH +CuSO4 and compared the results. They are very different.

https://youtu.be/ZVspYQZP-Mk

The closest match in color i can find is Copper(i) hydroxide

Rainwater
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2022 at 15:05

I believe Copper(i) hydroxide is confirmed because the solids in solution are turning a beautiful red.

This picture does not do these colors justice.
20220131_175006.jpg - 1.7MB

Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 31-1-2022 at 15:50

It is widely referred to as "hydrous copper(I) oxide" which in practice is not very different from a metal hydroxide. The only real way to keep the yellow color stable long-term is to keep it cool and underwater in a sealed vessel where oxygen can't contact it.

Go To Top