Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Uses for magnetic properties during electrolysis
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 2-3-2022 at 17:34
Uses for magnetic properties during electrolysis

Backstory:
I was trying to make iron powder again using electrolysis of potassium bisulfate and water with steel electrodes.

Observations:
I noticed a stream coming off the tip of my anode.
youtube video

Experment:
Being curious, I placed a magnet close to it.
The stream pushed away from it. I thought this odd, so i flipped the magnet around and saw the stream pulling close to it.

Hypothesis: Ether this dence stream flowing off the anode is a product of the electrolysis, actually ions, or both. If it is ions it will have a negative charge. If it is a product it will be netural.

Quickly, I found my compass and verified which pole of the magnet was north and south.

To no surprise, the north pole repealed the stream, and the south pole attracted it.
Conclusion:
So i didnt have a stream of ions, but a product. But why the reaction to a magnetic polarities.

Hypothesis: the dence stream of compounds is consentrated, thus acting as a conductive path for the current to flow. Giving it a magnetic field.

Realisization:
Where is this being used in chemistry?
How can i take advantage of this effect?

Google,
Control the neculation site of a boiling liquid.
Increased effectiveness in hydrogen production via electrolysis.
End of page.

So i guess im asking
Is this a well known useful process?
Has any research as been done in this area?

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 2-3-2022 at 19:18

In order to determine the polarity of the stream, I would have to know which direction it was flowing relative to the perspective of the magnet. Magnetic fields point from the north pole of the magnet to the south pole of the magnet; equivalently, they point from the Geomagnetic South Pole to the Geomagnetic North Pole (the north pole of the magnet is the end which is attracted to the Geomagnetic North Pole, so). But the video is from an awkward angle so I can't determine how to apply the right-hand rule.

In your video, the magnetic field curls around the stream of ions leaving the anode. So the force should be perpendicular to the magnet.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 3-3-2022 at 08:41

The angle was bad. If i could get my hands on a 2 thin plates and turn it 2d that would be easier to record.
Heres a doodle of the setup and effects

Screenshot_20220303-113904_Samsung Notes.jpg - 318kB Screenshot_20220303-113923_Samsung Notes.jpg - 304kB Screenshot_20220303-113831_Samsung Notes.jpg - 318kB

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted

Go To Top