Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First big accident, almost burned my house
andyloris
Harmless
*




Posts: 49
Registered: 22-9-2022
Location: France
Member Is Offline

Mood: Lazy

[*] posted on 7-2-2023 at 11:35
First big accident, almost burned my house


First of all, sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in, if this is the case, feel free to move it.

I was trying to reproduce an experiment that I always wanted to do since I was a child: the reaction of KMnO4 and glycerol.

So I took some aluminum foil, made a small "bowl" with it, added the KMnO4 and then a bit of glycerol. I did this outside, it was very cold (about 2°C) and even after waiting a couple hours, the reaction didn't start.
The mix however became brown, making me think that the KMnO4 was entirely reduced to MnO2, and that the reaction wouldn't proceed.
So I took it back home and threw it in a bin. I then forgot about it and went at the chess club. I was out of home for one hour. However when I went back home,
I found the kitchen full of smoke, and the top of the contents of the bin on fire. I immediately threw water on it to extinguish the fire. Thankfully, nothing else burned. I was pretty sure if I stayed 1 or 2 more hours out of home, the entire house would have burned. The funniest thing is that I realised a bit before throwing the "bomb" in the bin that it could catch on fire but still decided to take the risk for some reason.

The moral of the story is : "Always trust your first idea, especially if you only have one"




Always trust your first idea, especially if you only have one.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
7-2-2023 at 11:44
Herr Haber
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 1236
Registered: 29-1-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-2-2023 at 12:33


Glad you didnt burn your house down !
I'd have flushed it down the sink or hosed it.

I'm pretty sure we could open a thread "I knew it was a bad idea but did it anyway" :)




The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Cathoderay
Hazard to Self
**




Posts: 54
Registered: 29-1-2023
Location: US-Texas
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 7-2-2023 at 13:20


You know that with enough oxygen aluminum will burn, especially thin aluminum.
Use steel or ceramic next time.

Also drown any experiment like that with water afterwards whether you see it react or not.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
B(a)P
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 1122
Registered: 29-9-2019
Member Is Offline

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 7-2-2023 at 15:36


Thanks for sharing and glad to hear everything was ok in the end. Do you have a smoke alarm? If not, maybe time to get one, if so, maybe time to get it tested.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
andyloris
Harmless
*




Posts: 49
Registered: 22-9-2022
Location: France
Member Is Offline

Mood: Lazy

[*] posted on 8-2-2023 at 03:27


I have a smoke alarm, but for some reason, the smoke didn't escape the kitchen



Always trust your first idea, especially if you only have one.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
arkoma
Redneck Overlord
*******




Posts: 1761
Registered: 3-2-2014
Location: On a Big Blue Marble hurtling through space
Member Is Offline

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 8-2-2023 at 12:55


Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  


I'm pretty sure we could open a thread "I knew it was a bad idea but did it anyway" :)


man, I surely could contribute to THAT kinda thread.

It's a good idea IMHO to post our screw-ups--might just inadvertently save someones life down the road.




"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

View user's profile View All Posts By User

  Go To Top