Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitrocellulose Rocket fuel
Ankit1612
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-2-2023 at 23:39
Nitrocellulose Rocket fuel

Quote:
Hi guys,
I have nitrocellulose, which I've nitrated from Kno3 and 98% Sulphuric Acid.

Now I want to make rocket fuel from it! How should I start?

You should start by reading the site FAQ and searching first. Then asking specific questions, preferably in one of several threads already addressing these.

This thread goes into "beginnings" for now.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/madscifaq.html#2.1_Board_topic...

[Edited on 2-12-2023 by Bert]

Screenshot_20230212-113706_Samsung Internet.jpg - 368kB
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
12-2-2023 at 09:34
Cathoderay
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-2-2023 at 10:59

That's like saying " I made some nitroglycerine, how do I use it to open a bank vault?" or "I have a big tank of gasoline, how do I build a car?".
Normally a person would be interested in making a rocket motor then chose the fuel and how to get it. It also suggests harm, destruction and legal matters.

The line between something that generates any usable thrust and one that explodes is thin unless the motor is designed well. Designing and making a rocket motor take knowledge and experience. It is a lot of work as well as requires a location where you can fire a motor safely and without the police being called. You need to build a static test stand for one thing.
I don't think nitrocellulose itself is a very good fuel.

If you are only looking to do something "kewl' then you can stop reading now.

In the US at least, there is an organization that has info on the correct path for launching rockets and knows the rules about building motors, called "Tripoli".
It has been a long time since I was looking into this subject. Rocket motors are classed by a letter code according to their fuel load and thrust. A to G (less than 120g of fuel) commercial motors can be purchased without a special permit. It may or may not be legal to build them. H class and larger cannot be made or purchased without a special permit. The legal rules do change with time. Unfortunately the more terrorism in the world the tighter the rules become.
"High Power Rocketry Magazine" sometimes has articles about motor construction. The Tripoli website, https://www.tripoli.org/
I'm sorry but I can't give you the keys to the car.

Ankit1612
Harmless

biggrin.gif posted on 14-2-2023 at 11:03

First of all let me tell you that I'm not from USA.

And as far as making a rocket motor is concerned, I have made a rocket motor and tested it!!
so don't think that I am going to make a rocket for the first time.

I wanted to know everything from the beginning, what is the way to make fuel grain from nitrocellulose. That's why I asked like that.

So if you know the exact process of making fuel grain from nitrocellulose then you can tell me otherwise no problem!!

All the information which you have given I already know!!
Cathoderay
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-2-2023 at 12:00

I have no idea of your location.
You didn't explain your experience level, yet your posting was put in the "Beginnings" section.

But you are right, you don't need my help.

[Edited on 2/14/2023 by Cathoderay]
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 14-2-2023 at 13:55

https://jamesyawn.net/

You might look ^^^ there. Not nitrocellulose, but good info, and I can tell you from personal experience that KNO3 and sugar fuel is nicely energetic, and also can't be trifled with. Had a rocket (or two...) explode at/shortly after launch.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Go To Top