Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Has anyone tried the RE-2000A Chineseum Rotovaps?
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 486
Registered: 24-7-2019
Location: Devils Anus
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 15-3-2023 at 14:59
Has anyone tried the RE-2000A Chineseum Rotovaps?


Ebay suggested an item to me titled: [url="https://www.ebay.com/itm/165852539524"]2L Rotary Evaporator Rotovap Rotary evaporator motor lift Heating Oil Bath Lab[/url]

(Click on the pictures below to enlarge)




The price is $1,122.80 USD (before shipping), which seems like a total steal. It looks like its in great shape.

It seems like its almost too good to be true. Has ayone had any experience with this prduct or the company selling it?

Thanks,
-J

Edit: Found some YouTube videos of it in use:



It seems like a very good deal to me... But I usually fall for all kinds of scams. So someone please let me know if I'm missing something.

Thanks,
-J


[Edited on 15-3-2023 by SuperOxide]
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Phosphor-ing
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 244
Registered: 31-5-2006
Location: Deep South, USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 16-3-2023 at 01:47


I would suggest you contact Dr.Bob. He has rotovaps and glassware for very reasonable prices. I have been ordering glassware from him for years.



"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan
View user's profile View All Posts By User
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 486
Registered: 24-7-2019
Location: Devils Anus
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 16-3-2023 at 07:29


Quote: Originally posted by Phosphor-ing  
I would suggest you contact Dr.Bob. He has rotovaps and glassware for very reasonable prices. I have been ordering glassware from him for years.

Thanks for the referral! I have sent Dr. Bon a PM.

Anyone know if hes available on Discord as well?
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Texium
Administrator
********




Posts: 4516
Registered: 11-1-2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Member Is Offline

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 16-3-2023 at 08:16


He’s not, he prefers email.



Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 486
Registered: 24-7-2019
Location: Devils Anus
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 16-3-2023 at 08:18


Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
He’s not, he prefers email.

Oh, crap. Can you PM me his email address?
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Dr.Bob
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 2659
Registered: 26-1-2011
Location: USA - NC
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-3-2023 at 09:45


This appears to be a Chinese made knock off of a Buchi. I have never seen one like this, it may be greta, it may break after a week, it is hard to say. Looks like the listing is in Canada, so if you are there, that may be a reasonable way to go. I am out of working rotovaps, and mostly have glassware parts left for them, so I cannot help much, but there are other sources for used rotovaps, but if you are in Canada, most would be hard to use. Another company in the US was advertising a similar Chinese made system for about $1000 a while back, never heard anything good or bad about it.

If you need a rotovap, this seems like a reasonable option, can't tell what type of seal they use on it, or how well made it is from photos. But a Buchi would cost over $5000 new, and most used one are about $1000. I would stay away from the Buchi R-200 and go with a simpler R-11 or R-114 model, as they are much easier to get seals and parts for them. If you are near Wisconsin, you might be able to get a used one from https://www.meadowshplc.com/ for a $1000-1500, they also have the vacuum pumps for them.

If you do buy one, please put a review here for others, as no one has done that for the cheap US one yet.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 486
Registered: 24-7-2019
Location: Devils Anus
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 17-3-2023 at 20:03


Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
This appears to be a Chinese made knock off of a Buchi. I have never seen one like this, it may be greta, it may break after a week, it is hard to say. Looks like the listing is in Canada, so if you are there, that may be a reasonable way to go. I am out of working rotovaps, and mostly have glassware parts left for them, so I cannot help much, but there are other sources for used rotovaps, but if you are in Canada, most would be hard to use. Another company in the US was advertising a similar Chinese made system for about $1000 a while back, never heard anything good or bad about it.

If you need a rotovap, this seems like a reasonable option, can't tell what type of seal they use on it, or how well made it is from photos. But a Buchi would cost over $5000 new, and most used one are about $1000. I would stay away from the Buchi R-200 and go with a simpler R-11 or R-114 model, as they are much easier to get seals and parts for them. If you are near Wisconsin, you might be able to get a used one from https://www.meadowshplc.com/ for a $1000-1500, they also have the vacuum pumps for them.

If you do buy one, please put a review here for others, as no one has done that for the cheap US one yet.


Thank you for your input.

I'm leaning towards getting one. I just have a couple more questions from the manufacturer (how easy the seals are to replace, do they come with extra seals, do they sell 24/40 adaptors for it, etc etc.

And I have a coolant circulator/chiller and a couple awesome vacuum pumps. So I should be able to get this thing working pretty well. And you bet your ass ill be doing a demonstration for yall :-D
View user's profile View All Posts By User
crow6283
Hazard to Self
**




Posts: 60
Registered: 14-1-2018
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-3-2023 at 06:21


I’ve been trying to decide whether or not to share this information or not, but the Meadows HPLC guy has some really bad reviews online if you do some digging. REALLY bad. Also related to an aquarium business he used to run. I’d like to think everything is on the up and up but, you know, caveat emptor .
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Lionel Spanner
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 163
Registered: 14-12-2021
Location: near Barnsley, UK
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 18-3-2023 at 06:25


In my experience, a simple vacuum distillation setup with magnetic stirrer is functionally equivalent to a rotovap, and has the advantage of being much cheaper and less bulky, unless you're handling huge quantities of liquid.



Industrial chemist rediscovering the practical pleasures of pure chemistry.
Sometimes I make videos - https://www.youtube.com/@yorkshirechemist
View user's profile View All Posts By User
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 486
Registered: 24-7-2019
Location: Devils Anus
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 18-3-2023 at 20:25


Quote: Originally posted by crow6283  
I’ve been trying to decide whether or not to share this information or not, but the Meadows HPLC guy has some really bad reviews online if you do some digging. REALLY bad. Also related to an aquarium business he used to run. I’d like to think everything is on the up and up but, you know, caveat emptor .

Really? That's interesting. I did notice that his www.meadowshplc.com website was suspended, which is usually a red flag on its own
Screen Shot 2023-03-18 at 9.19.43 PM.png - 92kB
Thanks for letting me know crow6283, much appreciated.

Quote: Originally posted by Lionel Spanner  
In my experience, a simple vacuum distillation setup with magnetic stirrer is functionally equivalent to a rotovap, and has the advantage of being much cheaper and less bulky, unless you're handling huge quantities of liquid.

Yeah, that's usually the route I go. But sometimes I do some extractions that require a large volume to be processed. And I'd like to get into chromotography a bit more which requires crazy amounts of solvents sometimes. So I think this would be a very handy tool.

Plus... A rotovap for $1213.55 USD? That's a pretty good price (if it's not a POS).

I'm currently leaning towards getting it. But ill do a little more research first.

If I do get it, you better believe ill do a review and video of it :-)

Thanks.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Raid
Hazard to Everyone
***




Posts: 201
Registered: 14-11-2022
Location: N/A
Member Is Offline

Mood: School

[*] posted on 10-5-2023 at 06:07


If anyone is in the Minnesota area, The MN reuse program has a rotovap for sale at the warehouse. Its selling for $335, It does not come with the glass attachments so you would have to buy them separately and it needs a bit of a clean-up but other then that it seems to be in working condition and $335 for a rotovap seems like a very good deal.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Dr.Bob
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 2659
Registered: 26-1-2011
Location: USA - NC
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2023 at 11:28


If people can get the hardware pieces, I have tons of glassware for them. The challenge has been finding certain parts, like the rotating motors (that work), as well as seals for some models. But glassware is easy, I have condensers, receivers, steam ducts, and more. Just avoid R-200's as those seals are not made or obtainable now. The older ones like R111 or R-114 are great, as parts are easy to get. There are also people here who know how to fix them.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
crow6283
Hazard to Self
**




Posts: 60
Registered: 14-1-2018
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-5-2023 at 15:29


Quote: Originally posted by Raid  
If anyone is in the Minnesota area, The MN reuse program has a rotovap for sale at the warehouse. Its selling for $335, It does not come with the glass attachments so you would have to buy them separately and it needs a bit of a clean-up but other then that it seems to be in working condition and $335 for a rotovap seems like a very good deal.


Yeah I just saw it the other day. And a Masterflex for only $150!
View user's profile View All Posts By User
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 486
Registered: 24-7-2019
Location: Devils Anus
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 14-5-2023 at 15:35


Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
... Just avoid R-200's as those seals are not made or obtainable now...

That's good to know. I've seen a few Buchi R-200's on Ebay that I thought looked like a great deal. Ill steer clear of them though :)
View user's profile View All Posts By User

  Go To Top