Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Problems detonation of the mixture PETN/NG
MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-8-2023 at 02:07

HMTD… Come on dude. Be safer please. For all of us.
DennyDevHE77
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-8-2023 at 22:46

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  
HMTD… Come on dude. Be safer please. For all of us.

But after all, the HMTD is the best representative of primary explosives in price / initiating ability / ease of manufacture. Is not it?
Etanol
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-8-2023 at 07:58

Quote: Originally posted by DennyDevHE77  
1g PETN was pressed into it at a density of 1.1 and 0.7g HMTD.

HMTD is an unstable but very effective primary. 100mg would be enough for pure unphlegmatized PETN or RDX.
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-8-2023 at 08:38

If you are at all serious about energetics research, you should move away from all organic peroxides as soon as possible. There are many alternatives that are much better (both in terms of effectiveness, shelf life and safety). Take a look around the forum for ideas.
DennyDevHE77
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-8-2023 at 20:09

Quote: Originally posted by Etanol  
1g PETN was pressed into it at a density of 1.1 and 0.7g HMTD.

HMTD is an unstable but very effective primary. 100mg would be enough for pure unphlegmatized PETN or RDX.

In theory, it is. But in fact, for an explosion of 0.1 g, a strong metal case with a cup preventing the outflow of gases is needed.

I often burned out 200-300 mg in an insulin syringe. Moreover, it was a high-quality HMTD from chemically pure reagents. And acetone peroxide burned out even in an amount of 0.5 g. For the transition from combustion to detonation in these substances is not small (not like lead azide)

Therefore, for reinsurance, I use 0.5-0.8 g. It's still not much. Not 10g. Also, I use silver acetylenide nitrate or lead azide or DDNP when available.

[Edited on 11-8-2023 by DennyDevHE77]
DennyDevHE77
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-8-2023 at 20:14

Quote: Originally posted by Microtek  
If you are at all serious about energetics research, you should move away from all organic peroxides as soon as possible. There are many alternatives that are much better (both in terms of effectiveness, shelf life and safety). Take a look around the forum for ideas.

I also use other, safer primary explosives.

It's just that I make detonator caps in such a way that all this safety is not very significant. At a minimum, I never touch them with my hands, I carry them by the fire tubes or long wooden sticks tied to them (for tying flowers). I also press without touching them. And I carry them wrapped in a thick cloth to the place of the explosion.

In general, in the event of an explosion, I risk a small stun.

HMTD has a problem with static and low shelf life. But I don't remember storing ready-made detonator caps for more than a week, and static is solved by spraying with antistatic.

I have had several times when I needed long-lived capsules. I made them on PETN and white mercury fulminate. It may be a relatively weak initiating explosive, but time-tested and well mastered.

Etanol
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2023 at 01:04

In theory, it is. But in fact, for an explosion of 0.1 g, a strong metal case with a cup preventing the outflow of gases is needed.

This is not a theory. This is practice. Personally, I initiated pressed RDX and PETN with 50 mg HMTD in a plastic reinforcing cup.
DennyDevHE77
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2023 at 01:23

This is not a theory. This is practice. Personally, I initiated pressed RDX and PETN with 50 mg HMTD in a plastic reinforcing cup.

I should have been more specific in my answer, sorry.

I did not say that this is not possible, I said that even more of it just burned out for me. Not always, sometimes 100 mg was successfully detonated in the cap of the syringe. Or in the syringe itself. And sometimes not. I need reliability, with a minimum of work. And it just so happens that it’s much easier for me to press in a larger sample than I do with capping 100 mg. For example, some of my friends drive the rubber piston seal from the syringe on top of the HMTD, with a hole for the igniter tube, and then fill it with epoxy. And it turns out a reliable detonator.

But it's more work and more interaction with the initiating expl, which I try to minimize.

And even just imagine, will there be a difference if 1g PETN + 0.1 g HMTD, or 1g PETN + 1g HMTD explodes 70 cm away from me?

Etanol
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2023 at 05:38

This is a feature of peroxides. It is necessary to manage the deflagration to detonation transition, and not just to press into the pipe. Then the detonation occurs starting from 20-25 mg HMTD in 100% of cases.
Silver Azid is more easy to use. It does not require special conditions.

And even just imagine, will there be a difference if 1g PETN + 0.1 g HMTD, or 1g PETN + 1g HMTD explodes 70 cm away from me?

1g PETN + 1g HMTD is 1,6 time more dangerous than 1g PETN + 0.1 g HMTD.
But the cup with 0,1g HMTD is inserted already assembled. The explosion risk of 1g PETN + 0.1 g HMTD is lower.
DennyDevHE77
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2023 at 06:23

This is a feature of peroxides. It is necessary to manage the deflagration to detonation transition, and not just to press into the pipe. Then the detonation occurs starting from 20-25 mg HMTD in 100% of cases.
Silver Azid is more easy to use. It does not require special conditions.

1g PETN + 1g HMTD is 1,6 time more dangerous than 1g PETN + 0.1 g HMTD.
But the cup with 0,1g HMTD is inserted already assembled. The explosion risk of 1g PETN + 0.1 g HMTD is lower.

Namely, this is what I wanted to say that for organic peroxides, additional manipulations with the detonator are required, for minimal quantities. Much easier to increase the hitch. This will not be dangerous if you do not touch the syringes with your hands, but it is much faster, more convenient and less manipulation.

Even if 1g PETN and 1g HMTD are 1.6 times more dangerous, this still does not mean anything, because such an explosion can only harm in the immediate vicinity of the charge, and not 70 cm.

Another thing is when people use 20 ml syringes filled with organic peroxides to initiate all sorts of ammonals, this is already dangerous. But an explosion of 1 or 2 g will have almost no consequences if it occurs at a distance of more than 20-30 cm.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top