Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: machining/lathe work if required?
Jhiggins94
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-8-2023 at 02:35
machining/lathe work if required?

hi, ive seen a few threads on here about PTFE fittings/adapters being made an then the person disapears lol i have a myford that i have finally got set up after moving up north.
the cost of living crisis has hit as hard so im trying to make a bit of money with it, does anyone require anything made?
i can make some sample parts on here out of cheaper materials to demonstrate that im not going to dissapear.
if anyone is interested give me a shout.
cheers,
josh.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 6-8-2023 at 17:40

Well, I haven't disappeared. I just haven't gotten back around to it.

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious." - Dieter Rams
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 6-8-2023 at 19:27

The thing that has come up numerous times is a ptfe adapter designed for distilling solvents straight from the tin. Something that enables you to screw the cap off, chuck the ptfe adapter into the hole, whack your jointed glass distillation kit on top, and start heating.

Make a few of these, confirm they work, and start your mail order business.
Jhiggins94
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-8-2023 at 00:19

thats the ones ive seen, distilling solvents frompaint cans haha, it would be simple to turn, obviously PTFE would be more adapteble but in the interest of saving money i'd have thought stainless steel would be fine for most solvents :/?
am very low on finances at the moment so may have to start with a cheaper material haha.
Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 7-8-2023 at 05:32

Stainless steel is fine with solvents, but connecting it to glassware is more problematic compared with PTFE. But if you can figure out how to make a reliable stainless-glass connection, I’m sure people would eagerly purchase such a piece.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Jhiggins94
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-8-2023 at 07:30

id have thought a thin layer of PTFE tape combined with a nice finish on the inside of the female would suffice? personally i put a couple of turns on glass to glass joints, saying that my glassware isnt exactly top of the range haha :) im perfectly happy to turn PTFE but ill level with you, atm my income only just covers rent and food so if i was to spend any on a peice of PTFE bar i would need to know it will sell, im confident in my machining skills but is anyone willing to put their hand up and commit to purchace the trial item (not asking for anything before obviously). if i buy the materials, machine it and post pictures will anyone here take it, test it and post your honest opinion on here for all to see, and i will only charge material costs (including pic of invoice)? this is a one time offer, after that obviously i need to make a reasonable profit but im willing to let go of the labour costs to get me started.
material is up to you...
cheers,
josh.
Jhiggins94
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-8-2023 at 09:17

im just skraping together the money for some PTFE bar and i will get machining !
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 10-8-2023 at 09:42

Quote: Originally posted by Jhiggins94  
hi, ive seen a few threads on here about PTFE fittings/adapters being made an then the person disapears lol i have a myford that i have finally got set up after moving up north.
the cost of living crisis has hit as hard so im trying to make a bit of money with it, does anyone require anything made?
i can make some sample parts on here out of cheaper materials to demonstrate that im not going to dissapear.
if anyone is interested give me a shout.
cheers,
josh.

A stirrer bearing worth the name for a reasonable price would be great. Those Chinese Thermometer adapters sold as stirrer bearings are no good, I found out I loose half the Amines when steamdistilling with them.
Want a drawing how it can be done modifying the Chinese adapters? And of course we still want to use the cheap Chinese stirrers.....

Irgendwas is ja immer

Go To Top