Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TACP Hybrid Composites Based on Al/CuO -- High Performance
Vpatent357
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2023 at 11:20
TACP Hybrid Composites Based on Al/CuO -- High Performance

Here is a recent publication in High-Performance Energetic Materials research :

Hybrid Composites Based on Al/CuO Nanothermites and Tetraamminecopper Perchlorate for High-Performance Energetic Materials (2023)

I plan to use TACP Secondary Explosive for my detonators with maximum power.

What do you think of the TACP/Al/CuO mixture? And in what optimal ratio?
(my components will be standard and not nano) with SADS primary cap.

;)

Small blasting caps, fingers safe!
OneEyedPyro
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2023 at 12:03

Worth a try, I suppose. That's a lot of heat energy but also a of dead weight in metals and not a lot of gas production.
I've never had any luck with detonating oxide compositions but never tried mixing them with an HE either.

Your best bet is to start with a low amount of thermite and work your way up to see what happens.
EF2000
Hazard to Others

Mood: wrooom

[*] posted on 1-9-2023 at 21:08

SM's resident expert on TACP once said:
Quote: Originally posted by Laboratory of Liptakov  
Aluminium or Magnesium also can increase easy DDT. But Al or Mg create with TACP electric cell. Is it not best idea.

So, while Al/CuO thermite can for sure improve performance, it would decrease chemical stability of the mixture, right?
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2023 at 23:55

I think the energy outputs seem very low. CHNO HEs are usually around 5-7 kJ/g while flash mixtures are around 10 kJ/g. I wonder if they calculate energy output differently or what. Based on the heats of formation (and assuming complete reaction) CuO + Al should be around 4 kJ/g.
littlesky
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 03:08

Cool mixture.From the original literature, it seems that this requires nano level raw materials. For ordinary materials, they may not have stronger performance. But it's still worth trying.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 11:48

It looks like Chinese researchers have reinvented the wheel and the light bulb. Else words, If you have good quality CuO/Al nano-thermite and add a minor amount of any known explosive, results will always be better (or almost always better) than CuO/Al nano-thermite alone. Note that TACP is written last in the line. From this, one can infer his minority share. For example, 10 - 49%. CuO will be stable in such a composition, but nanoaluminum certainly will not. Stability (high reactivity of composition) will be in order of hours to days. It would make more sense to mix nanothermite with dry and neutral NH4ClO4. There the stability would be high in the order of years. And not trying to mix nano-metals with highly alkaline TACP......:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Vpatent357
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 13:03

Thanks LL for mentioning these observations. The devil is in the details. Like here, it finally seems not such a good idea or safe.

I'm going to stick with a basic composition like TACP+7% hexamine for the base-detonator. (compatible chemicals)

Small blasting caps, fingers safe!
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 13:33

What are the units on the X and y axis of those graphs in the first part? What are the conditions for the observations made? I am not sure I would ever call TACP slow burning and it doesn't take much confinement to be a strong explosive.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-9-2023 at 22:14

If I'm not mistaken, MineMan uses nanoaluminum.
And he has good results with it. If CuO/Al nanothermite was readily available to the hobbyist community, detonator construction would be much easier. With ETN or with Cu(ClO4)2. ( and many others) Within a few months, someone in the science madness community would come up with a much better solution than the Chinese in this thread.....:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 3-9-2023 at 16:06

After reading the article I am no clearer on my above questions. The imagery they took of the combustion seems selective and misleading.
I am also confused as to how they got better gas generation with the addition CuO/Al.
They flag the issue of it not being storable, but don't attempt to address it.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2023 at 21:35

It's not storable..?...Looks like they have enough money in China to research nonsense. And they still have the audacity to publish a scientific article about it. And since journalists usually don't understand anything at all, this nonsense gets into a scientific journal in the US. This whole thread is a waste of time.....:cool:

Go To Top