Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Help: Can ETN/PETN 4:6 be poured safely in a vacuum vibration environment?
Microtek
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-9-2023 at 08:10

It would be better if you did sensitivity tests on molten ETN in even smaller amounts (less than 1 g). So melt such a small amount and hit it in a measurable manner and compare to solid ETN and PETN. Then do the vacuum treated molten ETN to see if there is any significant difference. Remember to do at LEAST five repetitions.
PLSHY
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-9-2023 at 03:36

I found that all current etn-related accidents are caused by temperature, not mechanical impact. This means that if no heat source is used during the pouring process, most accidents can be avoided! Finally, I decided to test the impact sensitivity of melted etn and its safety under vacuum. If the melted etn with bubbles removed can achieve a lower impact sensitivity than PVA-LA, I will use 1:1 etn/petn in water The shaped charge warhead is cast below, divided into 200 grams and 100 grams. I believe this will achieve good results. It is expected to launch this warhead in December, and relevant information will be posted on the shaped charge thread at that time.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2023 at 00:40

This is dumb.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2023 at 00:41

Accident in the making. Accept
Things
As they are
PLSHY
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-10-2023 at 10:28

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  
This is dumb.
Oh my god, isn't that enough? Is it also foolish to add proof of theory to reality testing? If you want to refute me, you should use theory to prove why my theory is wrong, or give a few examples of accidental melting etn caused by mechanical impact! Instead of just saying "You're so stupid" and walking away, it makes me so angry! I suspect you didn't watch the entire discussion and just saw the outcome: "I'm going to use a lot of melt etn"

[Edited on 5-10-2023 by PLSHY]
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2023 at 22:34

In engineering courses on risk assessment and management you learn that the burden of proof must be the other way round. You want to do an activity such as melt casting a large amount of sensitive HE. We can identify several possible outcomes, at least one of which is catastrophic (the accidental detonation of the HE). If we assume that this outcome is likely, we can conduct the process with adequate precautions (remote operation, large safety distance and so on), and if the assumption turns out to be wrong, we will only have wasted the effort that went into our precautionary measures.
Conversely, if we assume that the catastrophic outcome is UNlikely, and therefore conduct the procedure without safety measures, then if the assumption turns out to be wrong we will lose life or limb.
So, it is a question of what you risk losing. You must understand that extrapolating from observations made in a different context means that you assume that the same mechanism apply in this context. And also that the absence of reports about mechanically induced accidents while melt casting ETN may be explained precisely by people dying when they try it.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top