Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: testing for ammonium nitrate & nitrogen content
fx-991ex
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-10-2023 at 08:25

Quote: Originally posted by ManyInterests  

Ouch. Not gonna bother then. I realize that on amazon.ca they do well 25lb bags of calcium nitrate. I was wondering why they weren't available all the time, but then I realize that, at least in Canada, the time after harvest but before the first snowfall is when farmers and gardeners spread fertilizer over their fields. That explains why it became available all of a sudden.

No need for unnecessary risks. I got a big bag of calcium nitrate on its way and I can make all the other nitrates from it that I want/need. I will know it is very pure since It can make 34% nitrogen ammonium nitrate.

The mega crop 2 part B?(good to know its back instock) that is what i got(the smaller bag), it work great for making other nitrate.
Its CAN(calcium ammonium nitrate) 5Ca(NO3)2•NH4NO3•10H2O
Its very pure/little impurity(completly dissolve), when doing other nitrate and titrating its very very close to stochiometric.

Theres also johnsplantfactory who do 50 pound bag for 65$, i have not tried him yet but its much cheaper.

[Edited on 25-10-2023 by fx-991ex]

ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-1-2024 at 19:21

Quote: Originally posted by fx-991ex  
Quote: Originally posted by ManyInterests  

Ouch. Not gonna bother then. I realize that on amazon.ca they do well 25lb bags of calcium nitrate. I was wondering why they weren't available all the time, but then I realize that, at least in Canada, the time after harvest but before the first snowfall is when farmers and gardeners spread fertilizer over their fields. That explains why it became available all of a sudden.

No need for unnecessary risks. I got a big bag of calcium nitrate on its way and I can make all the other nitrates from it that I want/need. I will know it is very pure since It can make 34% nitrogen ammonium nitrate.

The mega crop 2 part B?(good to know its back instock) that is what i got(the smaller bag), it work great for making other nitrate.
Its CAN(calcium ammonium nitrate) 5Ca(NO3)2•NH4NO3•10H2O
Its very pure/little impurity(completly dissolve), when doing other nitrate and titrating its very very close to stochiometric.

Theres also johnsplantfactory who do 50 pound bag for 65$, i have not tried him yet but its much cheaper.

Thank you so much for mentioning that! Holy crap! I WISH I knew about jonsplantfactory.com before going for mrfertilizer. I would have saved 50$ for a similar amount!

I am OK with the CAN. For making other nitrates, it is fine and I have extensive experience with CAN. Thank you for mentioning its purity. I was so used to dealing with cold pack CAN that it is incredible how little nitrate you actually get from a bag!

If I need more nitrates (unlikely I will need another 50lb bag!) I will go through jonsplantfactory.com instead of anywhere else.
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 26-1-2024 at 18:29

To a 100ml rbf in a sand bath, the following was added
~20ml of H2SO4 35.922g (drain cleaner)
0.761g of CuSO4 powder (white maybe anhydrous)
4.011g K2SO4 powder
5.073g of sun dried chicken droppings fresh from the floor

A narrow single walled glass column and thermowell was added.
The appratus was wrapped in insulation.
Heating was applied and the temperature raised to 100c for 10 minutes.
The temperature was increased to 130c for 30 minutes.
At a rate of 5c/minute the temperature was brought to 400c and held there for 1 hour. Then allowed to cool overnight. Then capped off and placed into the freezer. (Few days later)

The rbf contained a thin layer of clear oil on top of a white rock.
A distillation appratus was built around the flask with an addition funnel.
10g of NaOH was quickly added then the addition funnel attached. This should be about a 40% excess based on sulfuric acid used. (Edit: here is where i messed up)
50ml of water was added to the funnel.

The end of the condenser feed into a pre weighted bubble jar(162.079g) containing diluted hcl solution and a few drops of universal indicator (Methyl blue) showing a yellow tent. (Low ph)

Water was slowly dripped into the distillation appratus resulting in immediate boiling. After the initial reaction, the solution turned light blue.
The flask was heated to 95c for 20 minutes before the rock broke lose. Then an addition 30 minutes before everything dissolved.
A clear blue tented solution was distilled till almost dry. 150c
The bubbler remained yellow indicating that an excess of acid acid was used.

The bubbler was placed into a sand bath at 99c overnight. Then weighed.
162.161g -162.079 = 82mg of (NH4)2SO4
21% of that 82mg is nitrogen so the conclusion is 17.2mg of nitrogen was recovered from 5g of chicken droppings.
Or 0.3% nitrogen content by mass.

And nothing broke this time woooot

Edit:
Just seen my mistake. SOB.....

[Edited on 27-1-2024 by Rainwater]

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 27-1-2024 at 20:26

Quote: Originally posted by Rainwater  

162.161g -162.079 = 82mg of (NH4)2SO4
21% of that 82mg is nitrogen so the conclusion is 17.2mg of nitrogen was recovered from 5g of chicken droppings.
Or 0.3% nitrogen content by mass.

what was i doing, im fired. I got this all messed up
Thats 82mg of chloride, not sulfate.
NH4Cl

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top