Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  10
Author: Subject: V2O5 catalyst for H2SO4 production.
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 8-4-2004 at 12:56
Back again from a tedious vacation.

But where I was, with little to no Internet access, I managed to get hold of some metal lathe time, a couple of pieces of aluminum, and threading tools in the mean time, so I made this between meals. It's an aluminum rod with a 5mm diameter hole right through it and with both ends threaded. I also made an endcap. It's meant for sulfur refilling the burner, and will simply by screwed in place in the lid once the latter is cast, drilled, and threaded.

The cap is simply a cylinder of aluminum, half drilled through and threaded by hand.

I also made this. It's a coil made from 0.5mm diameter Kanthal D NiCr wire, using a piece of 2mm thick welding rod, a drill press and lots of patience. There's about 25 meters of NiCr wire there. I intend to use it with the burner vessel for sulfur melting, coltrolled by a 150..160 C bimetal thermostat I ordered and which will arrive on Tuesday. The resistance of the coil is a whopping 75 ohms, which means that my burner pre-heater will use 645W, all automagically controlled by the thermostat (BTW, <b>this</b> is why I made the vessel so bulky --- to even out temperatures. Aluminum is my favorite metal. It's soooo wonderfully heat conducting, and easy to work with too. In case anyone was wondering :))

PS: I'm glad to be back. Being without access to my 10Mbit line was horrible. It will also be very nice to talk to you all again.

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 10-4-2004 at 04:55

How do you thread stuff by hand? :o
Tacho
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-4-2004 at 05:37

You must have some strange vacations. How did you get some "metal lathe time"?

Those pieces are beauties.

I could use some lathe time myself!
axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 11-4-2004 at 02:22

Saerynide: With HSS tools, patience and brute force :). Anything can be threaded (well, as long as it's lower on the hardness scale than the tool, and not made of glass or something like that).

Tacho: Thanks. Now comes the hard part --- embedding the coil in a clay spiral for the integral burner heating plate *shudder*.

Edit: And oh, by the way, for the exhaust heater.... your amazing salt thermostat finally will be put to use!

Edit2: And as for how you get metal lathe time...: 1) Get a girlfriend who's father has his basement full of metal shop tools. 2) Fix his computer. 3) Suck up to him really good. :)

Edit3: BTW, I found this. I don't know if it works, but if it does it will come in handy for temperature calibration:

Edit4: I'm making more catalyst. Lots of it. My eye hurts from gaseous ammonia.... *sob*

Edit5: I've done some research on materials for the piping and couplings. The only realistic metal to use is Al, since it's completely impervious to hot SO2/SO3. Copper is heavily attacked. Unfortunately, it means I'll have to go and buy a very expensive 6 meter length of 10x3.0 pipe, as well as suitable threading tools. My wallet hurts.... :(

[Edited on 2004-4-11 by axehandle]

[Edited on 2004-4-11 by axehandle]

axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 08:37
Progress, progress.

I've cast half of the exhaust heater. In doing so, I managed to set fire to the table, the towel I grabbed the crucible handle with, and my welder's gloves.

It's the first and hopefully last time I'm forced to complete a molten aluminum pouring while on fire.

Pictures and a drawing of my intended manufacturing method will come as soon as the damned thing has cooled down, and I've stopped coughing. Hopefully none of my neighbours have called the police....
:(

I'm seriously considering covering that table with alumina or firebricks. :P

Edit01: I think I (albeit being an idiot) still deserve some credit for managing to continue casting while on fire. I think most people would panic.

Edit02: I've decided against buying Al tubing. Instead I'll melt aluminum in an iron pipe (clamped at the bottom) and simply dip copper pipe in the molten Al. Then it becomes resistant to both SO2 and SO3, as well as H2SO3 and H2SO4. And I won't have to dehydrate the burner air! Now I'll make my drawing.

Edit03: Ok, here's the plan for the heater. So far I've done step 1:

Edit04: Here's the bottom part. It's 170x125mm and 10mm thick:

[Edited on 2004-4-12 by axehandle]

Tacho
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 15:05

I'm sorry if you already mentioned it, but I don't feel like reading the whole thread: Are you sure hot SO2 attacks copper?

If not, you could put 5/15" copper tube instead of that clay turd. You buy this tube in any air conditioning supply. I guess it's also used to transport gas to stoves and heaters. I have a feeling that clay will not come out easily.
Tacho
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-4-2004 at 15:21

Sorry to clog your thread axe, but I've been messing around with FTP software, and I need a place to test a new way of uploading pictures, so I'm showing whoever reads this how the thermostat look like:

I must confess this FTP thing is new to me. I stopped my evolution at Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS. Did some nice real-time connections with the parallel (printer) port. They don't use printer ports anymore, do they? It's this USB thing now!

Ah! those were the days...

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by Tacho]
Saerynide
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2004 at 01:52

Good job casting while on fire :) Reminds me of the time I had to hold on a pot that was roasting on the stove for the last 10 min (with my bare hands :() because I didnt have a place to put it, and if i dropped it, Id have lost my dinner. My fingers where burned shiny... ouch....

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 13-4-2004 at 06:03
Clay soluability etcetera

Quote:

I'm sorry if you already mentioned it, but I don't feel like reading the whole thread: Are you sure hot SO2 attacks copper?

If not, you could put 5/15" copper tube instead of that clay turd. You buy this tube in any air conditioning supply.

Very sure. I searched for 2 hours and finally found a graduate level paper on it.

Quote:

I guess it's also used to transport gas to stoves and heaters. I have a feeling that clay will not come out easily.

I've reached the same conclusion. However, if I were to mix the clay with copious amounts of NaCl or KCl, I might have a winner. The best thing would probably be to cast the entire spiral out of molten NaCl (MP ~= 800C), but this will be difficult, I'm afraid... :(

What I need is a material that's easy to shape, can take 700C without decomposing, and that is soluable in water. I have lots of thinking to do.

Quote:

I must confess this FTP thing is new to me. I stopped my evolution at Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS. Did some nice

real-time connections with the parallel (printer) port. They don't use printer ports anymore, do they? It's this USB

thing now!

Not so! I've never seen a motherboard without a parallel port. I actually even used my Linux computer to drive a PWM circuit interfaced with the parallel port. I can send you the source code if you want.

Besides, I hate USB with a vengeance. Much harder to build an external circuit for.
------------

Quote:

...Reminds me of the time I had to hold on a pot that was roasting on the stove for the last 10 min (with my bare

hands) because I didnt have a place to put it, and if i dropped it, Id have lost my dinner. My fingers where burned

shiny... ouch....

Been there, done that... more than one time :)

TheBear
Hazard to Self

Mood: distilled

[*] posted on 13-4-2004 at 12:04

This post contains no scientific information, and can be disregarded by those who only seek facts.

Axehandle I have to say that I'm very impressed by this project. Since I live in the same country as you I know of the troubles surrounding acquisition of H2SO4. I just got to say: Keep up the good work!
For once I think I'm seeing a project that will be finnished since you seem to have the right attitude: insanely stubborn. Now a couple of questions: Will you publish a complete tutorial on your site when and if your project is finnished? And when are you estimating making a first test-run?

I wish you the best of luck!

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by TheBear]
axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 13-4-2004 at 12:19

Quote:

Axehandle I have to say that I'm very impressed by this project. Since I live in the same coutry as you I know of the troubles surrounding aquireing H2SO4. I just got to say: Keep up the good work!

Thank you, and I will. Nothing short of death will stop me now!

(Jag SKA ha min jävla svavelsyra, hur lång tid det än tar!!!) :)

Quote:

For once I think I'm seeing a project that will be finnished since you seem to have the right attitude: insanely stubborn. Now a couple of questions: Will you publish a complete tutorial on your site when and if your project is finnished? And when are you estimating making a first test-run?

Yes, I'm stubborn. Very stubborn.

And yes, I will publish a complete tutorial complete with drawings, component manufacturing processes, pictures, efficiency calculations, major causes of trouble, caveats, etcetera.

I can't give a deadline for the test run. If all goes well, I'd guess within a month. If there are more major obstacles, perhaps 2 months. If I has unlimited monetary resources I'd say one week, but I'm keeping as low a budget as possible here:

For example, the exhaust heater could be heated by a cooking hotplate, but I prefer to save that expense and make my own heating coil. Another example is the thermostatic control. It could be put together easily if I bought a Pt probe. I'm going to use a molten salt thermostat instead.

One possible dead stop is if the catalyst for some reason refuses to work. Then I'll have to sacrifice a small length of my Pt wire, dissolve it in HCl using AC electrolysis and precipitate it onto silica.

As you can see, there are many variables; it's nearly impossible to foresee the time needed.

Quote:

I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks. I'm now very confident I will succeed, though.

Tacho
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2004 at 03:31

Axehandle,

I’ve been thinking about an easier way than clay turd to make the “heating channel”. I could not think of anything practical.

I do have some thoughts about the clay turd though:

1-if you decide to add NaCl, remember that it’s hygroscopic, so you have to dry the turd right before casting. I can’t imagine salt making a good mixture with wet clay, but if it does, I don’t usually argue with facts.

2- It might occur to you that mixing CaCO3 could be a good idea since, if you wash it with vinegar or lemon juice solutions, it will bubble itself away. BUT CaCO3 releases carbon dioxide at 500ºC-600ºC, and you don’t want things bubbling through molten aluminum.

3- I don’t think NaHCO3 (baking soda, sodium bicarbonate) releases CO2 upon heating, BUT I AM NOT SURE. Anyway, the mixing with wet clay might pose a problem as with NaCl. Otherwise, it would also bubble itself away upon washing with household acids. Same goes for sodium carbonate (swimming pool supply).

As you see, I don’t have a foolproof solution to remove the clay turd, but I hope these ideas are, at least, inspiring, in a brainstorm way.
axehandle
Free Radical

thumbup.gif posted on 14-4-2004 at 03:41

Thanks for the ideas Tacho. I actually mixed some clay yesterday (with KCl), made some turds and put them in my dessicator. Once they're dried, I'll heat them to 800C (the estimated temp of my molten Al) and then try to dissolve them with water. Hopefully it will work.

I've been thinking about "casting" a string of some sort of high MP molten salt, but I find this impractical.

Now I'll go and _finally_ get my Pt wire! And they have titanium in stock too!!!

Edit: Now I think I have a solution: I'm going to machine the "gas channel" in the bottom heater half. Then I'm going to pour molten NaCl into the channel, and then sand off any NaCl outside of the channel. Then I'm going to cover the whole thing with a layer of molten Al. After that, boiling the heater in water will take care of the NaCl.

[Edited on 2004-4-14 by axehandle]

vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 14-4-2004 at 11:48

Quote:

I don’t think NaHCO3 (baking soda, sodium bicarbonate) releases CO2 upon heating, BUT I AM NOT SURE

2NaHCO3 --> Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O

Na2CO3 ---> Na2O + CO2

Not much heat is needed, at 300C the conversion is complete IIRC.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 14-4-2004 at 12:35
Thanks,

vulture. I already knew this since I actually <i>can</i> cook, but the warning is good. Splattering molten Al at 800C is not something you want all over you. Anything textile it touches takes fire, and it's painful as hell (I once got a drop on my finger).

Now to continue on my plans for machining the heater. It will be very very boring.

Tacho
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2004 at 12:49

Baking soda? Cook? CO2? Cake?

OOOuch!

How could I be so stupid!

Really sorry about that one.
axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 14-4-2004 at 12:56
No probs Tacho,

we all make mistakes. Now, imagine how much fun I will have machining a 5x5 mm track along the black lines in this Al block using only a drill press and a hand file.....:

(That track is <b>1650mm</b> long! :()

Edit: On second thought, I'll wait until tomorrow and buy the proper tool: An inverted cone rotating file.

axehandle
Free Radical

mad.gif posted on 15-4-2004 at 14:47
Lots of holes.

The path is marked, now the only thing I need is a rotating file:

Btw: You're all right in guessing that drilling all those holes was no fun at all. Ooooh, my fingers ache.....

Edit: Homepage updated (finally...).

<b>Edit2: No, I'm NOT happy with the
shape of this track. :(</b> I'll RE-CAST it, in the same stainless oven form with the track
laid in the bottom using a bent 6x6 square
mild steel wire. Why the fuck didn't I come up with that idea earlier??? I'm a 1st class idiot.

[Edited on 2004-4-15 by axehandle]

Saerynide
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2004 at 02:47

Ouch. I would be crying if I had to trash all the hard work spent on that :(

[Edited on 16-4-2004 by Saerynide]

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"
axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 18-4-2004 at 12:44

It would be impossible to get that track straight. The air canal would brake the air much in the same way that a gun silencer brakes the propellant gasses, making it hard on the pump. In hindsight, what was I thinking????

<b>Now, a serious question:</b>

Does anyone know of a common chemical, that chemical NOT being sulfuric acid, that corrodes copper but does not attack aluminum? I'm thinking of embedding a copper pipe spiral inside an aluminum block, then pump some copper-destroying liquid through the system until only Al remains.

[Edited on 2004-4-18 by axehandle]

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 18-4-2004 at 16:03

Ammonia solutions attack copper, to what extent I cannot recall.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 18-4-2004 at 16:12

Ammonia is a good one. While searching (in vain) for something that would destroy Copper but not Aluminum, I put two equal-sized pieces of Al and Cu in 25% NH3(aq) solution. Not much have happened (yet). I did the same with acetic acid (no results yet either).

It doesn't matter if it takes 1-2 weeks to destroy the copper but leave Al, as long as is works. (My 1st search involved galvanic cell-like destruction, but since Al is less noble than Cu..... you all get it.)

What peeves me though, is that this has become an obstacle I did not foresee. If I only could find a way to "dissolve" the copper pipe, leaving the Al block intact, I could assemble and try my V2O5 catalysed H2SO4 machine within DAYS, not weeks.

I have the machine in my head now. The only major obstacle remaining is the pre-entering-catalyst gas heater.

Edit1: I'm so close I can almost smell the blood.

[Edited on 2004-4-19 by axehandle]

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 18-4-2004 at 16:39

Also, isn't aluminum passified by concentrated nitric acid. However I do not think that you have nitric laying around anyways.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 18-4-2004 at 16:44

Not having nitric (which I KNOW doesn't attack Al but Cu, is the main reason I'm building this plant) *grumble*

BrAiNFeVeR
Harmless

Mood: busy

[*] posted on 19-4-2004 at 01:40

Try a solution of NH4NO3, this shouldn't be hard so to get ...

It'll may a while, but it should do the trick.

Good luck on the project, I'm a big fan :)

Visit my site => http://brainfever.2ya.com
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  10

Go To Top