Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: 2023 Science Madness Secret Santa – The fun begins!
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 10-1-2024 at 07:23

Over the years I have received a huge amount of japanese candy, trinkets, objects and decorations from japanese culture and holidays (tanabata, various festivals, gadgets, omamoris etc) but i think I have never received anythong more japanese than Mitsubishi pencils. The graphics, the lettering, the brand... The japanese hyperfixation with stationery, the pastel colours and the golden serif fonts.

17049000566648265040280687705386.jpg - 2.3MB

[Edited on 10-1-2024 by valeg96]

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 11-1-2024 at 18:13

Wanted to say it was nice to participate this year, I love this community and getting to know members. Seems to always be a good mix and varied experience. Lot of cool things went around! I got to see that mine was received at least in part, one small dropship didn't seem to manifest in the mailbox there :( the hand packed portion did, so yay!

That said, if you were my Santa, and feel bad b/c I hadn't mentioned your gift... (I know we all put in a lot of thought/time/effort), I wasn't just being callous.

I assume the mail service has devoured it, or it's somewhere not here, haha. I appreciate the effort at getting something sent, but nothing was received so far. If it wasn't insured, USPS will likely say tough titties... I don't want anyone to be put out twice with costs associated, just for my sake, should that be the case.

So, for the record, THANK YOU!! I'm sorry you don't get to see an excited post by your recipient, but your efforts were not in vain. Much love from Cali, whoever you are :) happy 2024!
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 11-1-2024 at 20:07

I have recently returned from a trip away to find that I have received a nice selection of metals and some local produce, as well as a couple of chemical mysteries to solve. What a perfect gift, thanks so much Santa!

PXL_20240112_040020898.MP.jpg - 4.9MB
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Yes.

[*] posted on 12-1-2024 at 11:49

All this is making me regret not participating!:D I guess I’ll have to wait for next year.

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
violet sin
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2024 at 12:32

Ha ha ha ha, I find this amusing, after having just said nothing had arrived yet, I got home today to a package, from Argentina no less. Kinda reminds me of testing fate by throwing the fishing pole in your car after the boss said he wasn't sure if you'd be working for the day.. you end up finding out real quick, haha, usually when backing down the driveway with a smile on your face.

There was a super cool electrolysis piece of glassware, a gas stopcock tube, some halfnium disks, and a sensor of some sort!

I can certainly say I'm surprised, and very thankful! Out of country parcels are a headache for sure!! I always felt the addresses look so different than whatever convention you're accustomed to, and I always hoped I got it right enough to make it to it's destination, haha.

You did well, And it's appreciated, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Now the fun part of trying to decide who it was!!
IMG_20240113_122208984.jpg - 1.9MB
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 14-1-2024 at 03:34

Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  
I have recently returned from a trip away to find that I have received a nice selection of metals and some local produce, as well as a couple of chemical mysteries to solve. What a perfect gift, thanks so much Santa!

That small bottle is Becherovka, czech distillate with some herbs and spices. It have 38 % alcohol.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 14-1-2024 at 12:27

Quote: Originally posted by Bedlasky  
Quote: Originally posted by B(a)P  

That small bottle is Becherovka, czech distillate with some herbs and spices. It have 38 % alcohol.

Thanks Bedlasky,

I actually traveled in the Czech Republic some years ago and tried some Becherovka while I was there. I even have a photo of me with the big Becherovka bottle at Karlovy Vary.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 14-1-2024 at 16:08

I actually just bought myself a bottle of Becherovka when I was in Texas for the holidays (can't find it anywhere in Utah)! I enjoy making cocktails at home and have been collecting a variety of interesting liqueurs.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Admagistr
Hazard to Others

Mood: The dreaming alchemist

[*] posted on 15-1-2024 at 00:45

Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
I actually just bought myself a bottle of Becherovka when I was in Texas for the holidays (can't find it anywhere in Utah)! I enjoy making cocktails at home and have been collecting a variety of interesting liqueurs.

And how do you rate the Becherovka-Does it taste good;)? I like it and it's healthy because of the medicinal herbs. I drink it occasionally.
warteo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-1-2024 at 20:32

Checking in to profusely thank my secret Santa for the amazingly generous gift I received of a good amount of Gallic acid. It made it here just in time for Christmas, even passing through Australian customs without a problem. I'm unsure who you are but I want you to know that your thoughtfulness really made my day! Thanks!

As my my Santee, I really hope my gift was received and was suitable. I'm normally very careful to retain parcel tracking numbers but this time I distractedly binned it so I have no way of knowing if the package arrived.
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 6-2-2024 at 17:33
Christmas Card

Got a late Christmas card. NO PROBLEM - at least people are thinking of me.

Looking forward to next year. It's way too early of course but always in the back of my
mind. That's how much this board means to me. GOOD JOB EVERYBODY !

Vince

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
charley1957
Hazard to Others

Mood: Extracted

[*] posted on 21-2-2024 at 17:02

My Secret Santa is VERY persistent. Part of the present he sent never made it to me for whatever reason. I think my post office was at fault, actually. So today I received the last missing piece of my Christmas present from Violet sin. Thank you so much! I’d been away from home for a few days, but when I got here there was a 1-gram vial of Iodine prills waiting for me. I had told him to not worry about it, though I felt bad that he’d spent money on something that never came. But his persistence made sure that I got everything he intended me to have for Christmas. Thank you again, Violet sin!

You can’t claim you drank all day if you didn’t start early in the morning.
violet sin
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2024 at 14:45

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PElementSamples?page=2#items

PElementSamples is a rock-* and did the second shipping for free. Doesn't look like he's got any more 10g samples of Iodine left, but a smaller one (5g?) for 12$ or so. I recommend this guy for sure.

Glad you finally got it charley1957! Whoo hoo it's nice when things work out as planned :)
MadHatter
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-2-2024 at 18:36
Postal System

I haven't heard anything from my Santee. I have to wonder about different postal services
and/or regulations. In my case the gift was sent to Argentina. It contained no elements
or compounds.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 22-2-2024 at 21:34

Quote: Originally posted by MadHatter  
I haven't heard anything from my Santee. I have to wonder about different postal services
and/or regulations. In my case the gift was sent to Argentina. It contained no elements
or compounds.

Ahh yes. I meant to follow this up and I overlooked it.
I did get a message saying nothing had arrived. It seems to have gotten lost in the Argentinian postal system. I know you said you received tracking details that it had left the US and had landed in Argentina. Beyond that, I don't think anyone knows what happened.

There was another package that did not arrive, and also one member who seems to have dropped off the map for a bit. So, perhaps not the most successful year. :( I still think it is worth doing despite the occasional glitches. I am so glad that this community is so forgiving, accommodating and generous. It is one of the things that makes this board special.

J.
MadHatter
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2024 at 00:59
Tracking

"Your item departed a transfer airport in MINISTRO PISTARINI, BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
on December 7, 2023 at 10:02 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

This is the last tracking I got on it. It's like it got sucked into a black hole.

Thanks for trying to help j_sum1. It's appreciated.

Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 26-2-2024 at 16:39

I have to out myself here.... I have been a bad person. It is somehow the end of Feb... and I have not sent off my Secret Santa present yet! If I am any slower, it'll be closer to Xmas 2025 than 2024 when I send this off.

Apologies go to Texium, who has been far too patient with me. Since Dec I've moved house, went to the US for a conference, submitted my PhD... I could make excuse but I think it's better to be introspective and suggest that it has been delayed because I'm a terrible person.

Anyway, I have a package of mystery element samples to send off for you Texium. Will send it tomorrow. I will! Hopefully you can have some fun doing small scale chemistry to try and identify the elements. Or just look at them and guess /speculate. But no putting them under those fancy machines which will just tell you what they are! That's cheatin'!

Finally- I got my present in December and it’s great! The name of the person who sent it slips my mind right now..... I had it..... but once again I'm a terrible person. I'll find it and follow up to say thank you. It's always such a highlight of Xmas to get the chemistry present from the Sciencemadness stranger. As with every year, Xmas is good fun and my family are nice, but they have no idea what to gift me as a present, and can't seem to understand how an internet forum person can get it right. I like chemicals idk.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 26-2-2024 at 17:17

Shame, shame! Naughty list for you next year!

…jk, honestly I’m relieved that it wasn’t lost in the mail or stolen from my mailbox while I was away for the holidays. I’m excited to receive it! Doing a little qualitative inorganic analysis will be a fun diversion.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Chem Science
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-3-2024 at 14:04

My Gift just arrived Today ! No letter or anything to, just a fan and flexible tube, but it's nice :)
I had to pay a small fee to customs to xD
BTW i know it was from MadHatter since i'm the only one in Argentina haha Thanks ^.^
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 6-3-2024 at 15:44

OT: A friend of mine is on a trip, and said he would collect some coins for me.

He tried finding some in Buenos Aires. He didn't find any.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
MadHatter
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2024 at 16:14
Secret Santa 2023

I'm glad Chem Science got his gift. Postal systems, even here in the U.S., can be
maddening. His gift is almost 3 months after the last tracking. Glad it wasn't perishable
like the French bread I sent to my Dad in Maryland a couple of years ago. 2 out of 3
loaves made it the next day. The 3rd loaf showed up green and hard as a brick. Postal
wankers everywhere I guess. In any event I'm glad my Santee received the gift. With
any luck he can adapt it to remove noxious fumes from his homemade fume hood.

Vince

Chem Science
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-3-2024 at 08:08

I think my Fume Hood is a little big (1,5 x 1,1 x 0,6 )m3 for the extractor, however it's just right for my Flame Photometer :D

Extractor Fan.JPG - 2.2MB

[Edited on 7-3-2024 by Chem Science]

FumeHood.JPG - 1.8MB
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top