Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Solvent storage - metal bottles
monolithic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-10-2023 at 08:17
Solvent storage - metal bottles

I'm looking for 150-250 ml metal storage containers with a tightly threaded lid, capable of holding relatively low boiling point solvents like DCM, acetone, nitromethane, etc. Anyone know of where I could buy a half dozen or so of these without paying an arm and a leg? I looked at United States Plastic Corp website and they want $10-15 per container for something like this: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=91733&... They do have "rubber cement" style metal cans for cheap but I'm not sure if the threading is good enough to prevent something like DCM from evaporating away.
fx-991ex
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-10-2023 at 08:54

Why not brown glass bottle? i got a pack of 12*500ml for something like 20$ on amazon or vivaplex.com
I use teflon/PTFE sheet to make gasket for sealing the cap as it resist almost every chemical.

Plastic are pretty strong nowadays, i dont see problem with plastic threaded cap.
The galon of acetone i bought at the store years ago came in a plastic bottle.
monolithic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-10-2023 at 09:08

Quote: Originally posted by fx-991ex  
Why not brown glass bottle? i got a pack of 12*500ml for something like 20$ on amazon or vivaplex.com
I use teflon/PTFE sheet to make gasket for sealing the cap as it resist almost every chemical.

Plastic are pretty strong nowadays, i dont see problem with plastic threaded cap.
The galon of acetone i bought at the store years ago came in a plastic bottle.

I'm using glass now. I'll be moving shortly, and will have to store my solvents outside. I'm a bit paranoid about breaking glass bottles during the move or summertime temperatures exploding the bottles.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2023 at 09:46

The thread is almost irrelevant,
Its the cap seal that is critical.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 8-10-2023 at 11:26

A few years ago I transported all of my chemicals, along with the rest of my belongings, over 1000 miles in the midst of a scorching hot summer. Not a single thing broke. I packed all the glass bottles between plastic bottles, or bubble wrapped them if necessary. Things I was particularly concerned about I packed extra carefully and kept inside the car with me to protect them from the brunt of the heat, and I kept the most sensitive things in a cooler with ice. I don’t think you need to worry.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 8-10-2023 at 13:16

Diethyl ether is the main solvent that I routinely see in metal bottles. They work well if you can find them. As for packing, I also packed up had moved my lab once, I did it by putting the items into totes and pouring vermiculite around all the items, nothing moved, nothing broke.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 9-10-2023 at 03:33

I moved my chemicals and glass a couple of times, and I used a lot of newspaper. Nothing broke, I just made sure I was the one who moved the boxes containing the items and not helping friends or hired movers to make sure the boxes were handled with care.
charley1957
Hazard to Others

Mood: Extracted

[*] posted on 9-10-2023 at 05:20

I have seen aluminum beer bottles lately. They likely have an internal plastic coating, and they have stout threads and a good seal.

You can’t claim you drank all day if you didn’t start early in the morning.
dettoo456
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-10-2023 at 10:47

@monolithic This place (https://airseacontainers.com/packaging/packaging-bottles-can...) seems to have them for reasonable prices but I’ve never bought from them before so I can’t vouch for their quality or anything else about them.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2023 at 16:22

I have some 120 ml qorpak glass bottles, amber (used once for solvent, some have label residue on them) and clear (new) for $2, with PTFE lined green caps, and if you really want security, I have new, plastic coated bottles for $3 each. These are used by many companies for harsh chemicals and solvents, I have received TFA, bromine methyl iodide, and chloroform in them. They are much better than metal for most chemicals.

Go To Top