Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: plasma toroid
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-10-2023 at 16:35
plasma toroid

I saw a fascinating and delightful plasma globe on a Royal Institute lecture called High-voltage physics - with David Ricketts. The globe starts at after about 58 minutes. Below is a snip of the globe showing a plasma toroid.

PT002508.jpg - 22kB

With a web search, I found a technical description and construction of the globe and plasma toroid
Attachment: PTTheory.pdf (1MB)
This file has been downloaded 221 times

Below is a snip of a plasma toroid from the paper
ptt22 003959.jpg - 36kB

It does not require anything very complicated. The main components are a one transistor oscillator (50W,15MHz) and a vacuum pump (probably two stages). Unfortunately it uses Xenon gas but only 2l at 15torr (about 30ml at one bar). Apparently SLS sell 10l (presumed 1bar) for £737, so it's probably more than £100 for say 1l if it's available in small qualities. Apparently, Argon is not suitable due to its higher ionisation energy and lower atomic mass.

edit:
Perhaps Bromine with a similar ionisation energy as Xenon and more than half Xenon's atomic mass would be suitable. Apparently, a high atomic mass reduces the mobility of the plasma. Perhaps adding a gas with a much lower ionisation energy can operate at a higher pressure and hence reduce mobility of the plasma. Unfortunately, only mercury may have sufficient vapour pressure, but its ionisation energy is only slightly less than Xenon. It may be more practical to operate at a high loop voltage and higher pressure for the lower atomic mass gasses, such as Bromine and Argon.

[Edited on 10/22/2023 by wg48temp9]

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-10-2023 at 12:15

In the video of High Voltage Physics he showed a Kelvin Water Dropper much like the one Walter Lewin uses to demonstrate a tiny spark. It really seems a feeble example for such elaborate settings.
This one does much better and it seems they could spring for something like this as well.
Philipp Wasserstrahlengenerator - Kelvin Generator - Wasserfadenversuch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=698F700PM2Y
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-10-2023 at 10:45

Quote: Originally posted by Morgan  
In the video of High Voltage Physics he showed a Kelvin Water Dropper much like the one Walter Lewin uses to demonstrate a tiny spark. It really seems a feeble example for such elaborate settings.
This one does much better and it seems they could spring for something like this as well.
Philipp Wasserstrahlengenerator - Kelvin Generator - Wasserfadenversuch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=698F700PM2Y

In trying to find out more on the Kelvin Water Dropper topic ...

"Unfortunately, his work ended on January 5th, 2021. He still had many ideas in the back of his mind that have now left the earth with him. Rest in peace."
https://www.einferlacher.at/?page_id=2940

"As shown in the following film, spark discharges of 170 millimeters (= 170,000 volts) could be made for the first time (see Wikipedia -> 1mm corresponds to 1000 volts)."

"It is also shown for the first time that the “Philipp water jet generator” works during thunderstorms and rain. For the first time, a controllable spark discharge lasting 9 minutes can be seen between the electrodes. The fastest interval with a spark gap of 5 millimeters is 0.125 seconds (1/8 second)."

"All water thread test setups in the literature from 1850-2020 do not work in thunderstorms and rain. This is a brief insight into the literature on the “water thread experiment” and the “Philipp water jet generator”.
https://www.einferlacher.at/?page_id=1922

[Edited on 29-10-2023 by Morgan]
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
5-12-2023 at 13:57

Go To Top