Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electrochemical method to Iron Chlorides? (my first post btw)
WMChem
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-11-2023 at 21:32
Electrochemical method to Iron Chlorides? (my first post btw)

So, I am prepping for a lab to make some prussian blue. My chemitry professor is prepared to give me some of his potassium ferrocyanide. So, I only need some Ferric Chloride to do my lab. Now, I could use some iron fillings, react with HCl, and oxidize from Ferrous to Ferric chloride with H2O2....but I am an electrom chem nerd and I would rather not ask my prof. for any more stuff lol. I'm still learning, but I have a few labs (electroysis) under my belt, so I know a decent bit. I have written out some of the half-reactions...but I keep running into the same issue: excess OH- in solution (which would just precipitate iron hydroxides). So, that being said. Does anyone have any ideas or expieriences making iron chlorides by electrolysis/ is it even realistically possible?

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 2-11-2023 at 00:59

Why make iron chloride? Ferric chloride (FeCl3.6H2O) is available in nearly every part of the world in electronics shops, either as a solid, or in concentrated solution. It is used for etching printed circuit boards for hobby electronics. it is not expensive.

Just dissolve some of this ferric chloride in water, add a few drops of dilute HCl to avoid formation of hydrolysis products (hydroxy-compounds of iron(III)) and then add a solution of your potassium hexacyanoferrate(II) (you need the yellow/ferro salt, not the red/ferri salt). Use a slight excess of the potassium hexacyanoferrate(II) to avoid making a hygroscopic and hard to dry mess.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 2-11-2023 at 08:33

You are basically asking if you can get downtown in a helicopter. Yes, but why?

You can just make iron oxide and dissolve in HCl.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
WMChem
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-11-2023 at 09:06

Yes, you are right. That made me chuckle. I imagine it would be significantly cheaper-- and easier --to either buy ferric chloride, or produce it via the HCl route. But what is, if anything, the point of home science if not to discover and test novel ways of doing the most simple tasks? Sure one could buy it, but the defeats the fun!

I wasn't aware that iron chlorides did any kind of hydrolysis? I was under the impression that it was just weird hydration states/ complexes forming with the water (as transition metals tend to do).

And yeah. I know there is a difference between Ferrocyanide and Ferricyanide. I think you can make the Prussian Blue with either. The point is though, you need to match up a Fe3+ ion and an Fe2+ ion. Either of those ions can come from either salt, but you need both.

Thanks for the responses so far guys!

khlor
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-11-2023 at 12:36

I would start with putting an iron anode on a divided cell loaded with table salt solution as electrolyte and see what comes out. I did have some success with copper, wanted to try tin, never considered iron.

"NOOOOOO!!! The mixture is all WROOOOOOONG!"
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 2-11-2023 at 17:08

Quote: Originally posted by WMChem  
But what is, if anything, the point of home science if not to discover and test novel ways of doing the most simple tasks? Sure one could buy it, but the defeats the fun!
That is something I see people say quite frequently, and there is certainly some truth to it. However, I think there’s an argument to be made that spending a lot of time trying to access mundane chemicals in more interesting ways tends to hold one back from pursuing more interesting chemistry.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top