Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Notice: Subforum reorganization
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 19-11-2023 at 09:10
Notice: Subforum reorganization

The other active forum staff and I have agrreed on a plan to restructure some of the subfora. The main change will be a division of the current Technochemistry subforum, because it is an unconventional and overly broad category. In order to categorize our threads in a manner more in tune with the chemistry zeitgeist, that subforum will become the Electrochemistry subforum, since that is the most prevalent topic, while non-electrochemistry threads will move to one of three new subfora:

Process Engineering
Materials and Metallurgy
Analytical Chemistry

These new sections (especially Analytical Chemistry) will also be able to absorb some threads from the bloated Chemistry In General subforum.

I will be creating the new subfora shortly after making this post, and will begin the process of reorganizing threads. It will take a substantial amount of time, of course, but my goal is to at least have the 1366 threads in Technochemistry appropriately divided up by the end of next weekend!

My hope is that having more topics may revive and boost some interest in subjects that have been buried in Technochemistry or Chemistry in General. We have also floated the idea of adding subfora for other STEM subjects outside of chemistry, since it is "Sciencemadness," not "Chemistrymadness," after all (as woelen put it in our staff discussion). I think it would be great to hear opinions from the community regarding the possibility of adding non-chemistry STEM subjects to the forum. Is that something you would like to see, and if so, what subjects do you think would draw people in and generate the most productive and interesting discussions?

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 19-11-2023 at 10:00

Also worth noting: for somewhat silly reasons it is easier for me to move threads from oldest to newest. Thus, the new subfora are starting out being populated by some 20 year-old threads, some of which may seem irrelevant if not outright bizarre. ;)

Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 19-11-2023 at 20:39

I am glad for making analytic chemistry subforum. I've been thinking about making some posts about this topic, but I was worry that it would be lost in chemistry in general.

As for other science topics - I think that physics, astronomy and geology/paleontology subforum would be great.
khlor
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-11-2023 at 09:02

About time the subject of sciencemadness and not chemistry madness being brought up.
As for other topics, I am in all favor of it.
As sugestions here is my draft:
Electrical and Electronics
- Power supplies(people doing electrolysis do love asking for these)
- High Voltage(birkelan reactors, ozone and fun like tesla coils)
- Amplifiers(there are many who like it)
- Electronics in general , IDK, a staple subforum
Physics
- Nothing comes to mind but someone can expand or at least make something up
- robotics?

I never done much outside of electronics and chemistry . But I think some of it may be appreciated by others.

"NOOOOOO!!! The mixture is all WROOOOOOONG!"
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 20-11-2023 at 09:32

Quote: Originally posted by khlor  
Electrical and Electronics
- Power supplies(people doing electrolysis do love asking for these)
- High Voltage(birkelan reactors, ozone and fun like tesla coils)
- Amplifiers(there are many who like it)
- Electronics in general , IDK, a staple subforum
As I was going through Technochemistry (I'm almost halfway through), I noticed that there were quite a few electronics related threads that were not directly related to chemistry. For now I've been moving those into Miscellaneous, but seeing the significant number of those has led me to agree that an Electronics subforum is warranted. I don't think there necessarily need to be four different ones though. There are already suitable homes for some of the topics that overlap with chemistry. Some power supply related threads fit quite well in Electrochemistry, if they are focused on how to use the power supply for electrolysis. Birkeland-Eyde reactors and ozone generators fit well in Process Engineering since they are purpose-built machines that are meant to downscale industrial processes for home lab use. But there were a number that I came across with no direct relation to chemistry: homemade transistors or lasers, for instance. Electrical repair of appliances such as hotplates/stirrers was another topic that comes up rather frequently, and could more properly fit in a general electronics subforum.

So, my suggestion would be a general "Electronics" subforum, with a description of "Construction and repair of circuits and electronic devices." It would be right at home in the Engineering and Equipment category.

Edit: A “Physics and Physical Chemistry” subforum might also be warranted, but I’m not sure if there are enough threads/interest in that area.

[Edited on 11-20-2023 by Texium]

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 20-11-2023 at 10:55

Actually, I think I have a good solution: rename the anemic Computational Models and Techniques subforum to Physics and Physical Chemistry, since most threads in that subforum appear to be physics-oriented. The minority that aren’t would likely find a home in Beginnings (basic stoichiometry calculators, etc) or Miscellaneous. Perhaps it could even be promoted to Fundamentals! ;)

EF2000
Hazard to Others

Mood: wrooom

[*] posted on 20-11-2023 at 11:05

With all those changes, the category Forum Matters is in should be "Non-science", not "Non-chemistry"

Wroom wroom
khlor
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-11-2023 at 11:08

Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
Actually, I think I have a good solution: rename the anemic Computational Models and Techniques subforum to Physics and Physical Chemistry, since most threads in that subforum appear to be physics-oriented. The minority that aren’t would likely find a home in Beginnings (basic stoichiometry calculators, etc) or Miscellaneous. Perhaps it could even be promoted to Fundamentals! ;)

I for one approve of the electronics subforum idea, as for the computational models, IDK, even though it might be anemic(as so described ) I still believe that there is merit in having a dedicated place to software/dedicated programming resources, peehaps a relabling would be more beneficial. Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.

[Edited on 20-11-2023 by khlor]

"NOOOOOO!!! The mixture is all WROOOOOOONG!"
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 20-11-2023 at 11:34

Just be careful not to make subforums too small. It can starve the threads. But overall I like the direction you're going.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 20-11-2023 at 11:45

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
Just be careful not to make subforums too small. It can starve the threads. But overall I like the direction you're going.
That’s why I proposed broadening Computational Models and Techniques. It still has threads from 7 years ago on the first page.

charley1957
Hazard to Others

Mood: Extracted

[*] posted on 20-11-2023 at 18:18

Hey I’d love to see an Electronics subforum especially. I’m also all for a geology subforum.

You can’t claim you drank all day if you didn’t start early in the morning.
chornedsnorkack
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-11-2023 at 01:34
Non-radioactive isotopes

The name of this forum is specifically "Radio"isotopes. But which forums deal with stable isotopes - measurement of stable isotopes, separation of stable isotopes, synonymous (isotope replacement) reactions or their avoidance?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 21-11-2023 at 01:58

We could rename this section, to include all kinds of things you mentioned. My suggestion: "Nuclides and radioisotopes". This is broad and covers nuclides in general. Isotopes fit under the umbrella of nuclides. Mentioning the term radioisotopes explicitly makes clear that an important aspect of nuclide physics is radioactivity.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 21-11-2023 at 02:08

We could create one other section, called "Non-chemistry amateur sciences", holding the following subforums:
- Physics
- Geology
- Astronomy
- Mathematics

[Edited on 21-11-23 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 21-11-2023 at 02:10

You are still talking about isotopes and their radiation properties.
Radiochemistry is the most appropriate forum.

Edit.
Beaten by woelen.

[Edited on 21-11-2023 by j_sum1]
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 21-11-2023 at 04:39

Sounds sensible.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 21-11-2023 at 05:57

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
You are still talking about isotopes and their radiation properties.
Radiochemistry is the most appropriate forum.
Not necessarily. There are plenty of stable isotopes that are used, mainly for their NMR activity (or lack thereof) or for physical chemistry experiments. Deuterium, carbon-13, and nitrogen-15 are common examples.

It’s not radiochemistry, but given the low prevalence of such chemistry amongst amateurs, it’s not worth renaming this subforum or creating a new one. If you’re trying to make a deuterium or 13C labeled organic compound for some reason, it could go in organic chemistry just fine. Discussions of kinetic isotope effect studies, etc, could fit in the proposed Physics and Physical Chemistry section if that comes to fruition. Otherwise, miscellaneous.

Texium
Administrator
Threads Merged
21-11-2023 at 05:59
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 22-11-2023 at 20:41

Making some good progress. I have moved over 600 threads from the former Technochemistry into other subfora, mostly into the new ones (though by this point there’s probably at least 100 that were moved to Beginnings, Miscellaneous, and a handful of others, occasionally honoring a move request from a decade ago that was never fulfilled, lol). I only have about 350 left to go, so I should be on track to finish it this weekend as I planned!

As I was going through these, I became firmly convinced of the need for a general Electronics subforum, so I created one. I’m also becoming more certain that a physics/physical chemistry one is warranted. The question with that is whether to combine it with Computational Models and Techniques (my preferred strategy) or to let that remain and create a new subforum.

The real challenge is going to be picking through Miscellaneous and Chemistry in General. They are much larger than Technochemistry was and contain a broader variety of subjects, so reviewing their threads will be a much bigger job. I think I am up to it, but it would probably be a project that I have to do a bit at a time over a few years. Splitting up Technochemistry at least gives the new subfora a solid foundation to grow on.

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 30-11-2023 at 11:05

It’s done! Technochemistry is no more. The electrochemistry subforum is now truly only electrochemistry. There are still likely many threads remaining in the more general subfora that would fit better in one of the new ones though (especially for analytical). Sorting those out will be a longer, slower process.

Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Yes.

[*] posted on 30-11-2023 at 11:08

Good work! This forum is due an overhaul.:)

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 30-11-2023 at 12:02

Thanks for all of your efforts on this Texium!

Go To Top